5.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Quality Score Rip-Off.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why does my ad have a low quality score?

Here is an example. Say you own "Apple"  and your advertise "Apple Comptuers'  and the ad points to yoru website apple.com  Why is google making your keyword "apple" a qulality of 5/10 and making you bid 10.00 to show up on top when no other can even show the world Apple in the title of their ad? Your website already ranks number one organically.   This just smells like one giant rip off. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Quality Score Rip-Off.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ron.
First of all, I have a feeling that you don't own the domain name apple.com. Second of all, it's VERY possible that in your scenario, the keyword "apple" COULD have a low quality score. Landing page relevance is only a small part of QS.

You might want to have a proper read of what quality score actually is here - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en

Remember, CTR is the biggest component (by far) of Quality Score and Google but it's not the only component. It's a tricky beast.

If you want to give a REAL example with a REAL landing page and REAL CTR data, we might be able to put it in context for you.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Ron K,

sometimes, when you just start your campaign, QS can be very different then after a while. One reason has Dave_Davis explained - you have no CTR data. CTR has by far the most important influence.
But also there is a problem with QS - you should download your QS report every day to track you historical data for QS trends.
The data for QS can mislead. Please read this article:
http://searchengineland.com/how-account-quality-score-can-guide-adwords-optimization-148595

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply. The keywords are "Aurora Generators" and "Aurora Generator"
The ad is

Aurora Generators
AuroraGenerators.com
Local company building generators
you can depend on.

I have a history with Adwords and used them for many years, spent over 500,000 in adwords. Gave up on them when it became cheaper to work on organic search results. After spending half a million dollars with them the final slap on the face was a christmas card gift instead of something a little more meaningful. It showed me a side of Google never saw before... moving on.....

Now that the site ranks well for many of its important keywords, we wanted to take up a bit more front page space and pay for the ad space above us. We do we own "Aurora" as a trademark name. Others cant and do not use it, google blocked them out. They do use it as their key words.

Aurora Generator has 4.95% CTR
Aurora Generators has a 25% CTR

The landing page is AuroraGenerators.com
It is targeting small local are for not while we test it and grow it out further.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Ron. What is your quality score and what is your average position?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
And can you confirm that the keywords you are bidding on are exact match?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dave, It was broad match. Oops. Thank you. Still, the words used were a exact match. Changing it to phrase mach improved the quality score.

I'll wait and see how Adwords evaluates it over the next little while.

Still feel wrong that the domain owner has to pay so much per click to compete in an area where they should naturally rank higher. Using your own brand name, that matches your domain and titles should be the lowest possible rates so others can't highjack the position when theirs has nothing to do with the search terms.

By the way, Google will stop others from using a trademark name in an advertisement but not from using your name as their keywords.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
I think changing the match type will help a lot. Considering all the search term variations of that keyword you could be showing for, how often is your ad relevant to those search term?

Also, look through your search term report and add any negatives into your account. This will prevent your ad from showing against irrelevant searches and thus increase QS.

I would also add more specific longer tail keywords, for example someone searching [Buy Aurora Generators] will almost certainly be looking for your service. Your keyword, ad and landing page are completely in align and your QS will reflect that.

Hope this helps.
Ryan.