AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Quality Score Issues

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I'm having trouble with a quality score. It is for a keyword that is very relevant and pretty much is what this client is. I have created it's own adgroup with ads that have the keyword in the title and ad text. It also has the keyword in multiple places on the landing page. We get conversions on the keyword and we are usually position 1. Yet it is still 2/10.

Any Advice would be great!.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Quality Score Issues

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Wksw,

Take a look at this thread - from Yesterday:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/Numbers-as-Keywords-Low-Quality-Score/m-p/26...

And I've copied & pasted the answer I wrote there:

How many impressions did you have for these keywords? what is your CTR?

Remember that the most important factor of the Quality Score is the CTR - if your CTR would ROCK - your QS would get higher :-)

You can also see and the thread some great answers from: PPCBossmantomhalejrdavid-nationalpNehaGupta and aothers,

Cheers,

Asaf

Cheers,

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
To Google relevance is so much more that just a word .
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Wksw,

Take a look at this thread - from Yesterday:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/Numbers-as-Keywords-Low-Quality-Score/m-p/26...

And I've copied & pasted the answer I wrote there:

How many impressions did you have for these keywords? what is your CTR?

Remember that the most important factor of the Quality Score is the CTR - if your CTR would ROCK - your QS would get higher :-)

You can also see and the thread some great answers from: PPCBossmantomhalejrdavid-nationalpNehaGupta and aothers,

Cheers,

Asaf

Cheers,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the same issue with quality scores, and while I am also looking for better answers, I will speculate about the reasons for the head-scratching quality scores (either higher or lower than expected) we often see.  First, assigning a relevence score to a word in the context of other words about a specific product, purpose, application, industry, etc. is a very complex task.  Computers are not good with language -- look at what you get from Google Translator, for example.  Consequently, the programming which determines a quality score is always going to be imperfect.

Second, I notice that my worst quality scores (on words where I have an ad group and an ad written specifically for that word) are often on single words.  That is, on an ad written for widgets, the keyword "widget" will sometimes have a lower quality score than "digital widget."  This can be true even if the word "digital" does not appear in the ad!  Go figure!  Long-tail keywords seem to do better as long as they relate to the ad and the landing page.

Often part of the reason for a low quality score on a keyword well-matched to both ad and landing page is competition.  If there is a lot of competition for that word, the click-through-rate (CTR) can be low and that will keep the quality score low.  On that theme, anything which affects the CTR -- like an less appealing ad -- can affect the quality score.

I'll close by saying I'd like to see a Googler with subject matter expertise address the isse of achieving higher quality scores.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Hawkeye,

Do you mean you'd like to see posts like these?

Ingredients of the Quality Score sauce
Recipe to making the perfect Quality Score Sauce

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’