AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Quality Score 10 vs Quality Score 10

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If one of my keywords has a Quality Score of 10 and one of my competitors has the same keyword with a quality score of 10, is max CPC the only deciding factor? Or, if my CTR is typically better than their CTR, will that be taken into account, even although we both have the highest Quality Score possible?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Quality Score 10 vs Quality Score 10

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi David, excellent question.  I'd think it quite unlikely that two different Accounts would match so perfectly to be in this position but it's an interesting theoretical question.  I've an idea of the answer but I'll need to seek confirmation from the experts.  I'll be back as soon as possible.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi David,

I would say that CTR among other factors will indeed be taken into account to differentiate between your 10 and your competitors 10...I would guess that the auction algorithm is quite extensive and only continues to look at more signals to make decisions like the one you've presented.

I actually was refreshing myself on QS knowledge just yesterday and was reminded that the QS factors are looked at in 'samples' for lack of a better term. For instance, they are segmented out by device. What you're (or your competitor) seeing as a 10 is great (don't get me wrong) but may not be a 10 across all devices for instance.

Take a gander here: http://searchengineland.com/quality-score-explained-by-a-former-googler-166007

Jon is after some good info for you that will probably be of more use than this but thought I'd share anyways.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi David G,

QS is mostly based on CTR anyway. Some have postulated here that QS that we see has been rounded to the nearest integer. Under that theory, your QS of 10 could be 9.8 and your competitor 9.9. But this is only a theory and has not been confirmed by Google.

According to their documentation, AdRank = QS * max CPC. End of discussion on their part.

I would say unequivocally, given equal QS, max CPC is the only remaining determining factor. The question still remains as to whether all QS 10/10 are equal.

Best of Luck!

pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello David, very good question. This video by Google Chief Economist, Hal Varian explains it very clearly. At min. 4:40 you will find the answer:

Ad Rank = Bid * Quality Score
Quality Score = CTR + Relevance + Landing page quality
----------------------------------------------------
Ad Rank = Bid * (CTR + Relevance + Landing page quality)

Furthermore, in Adwords Help you can can find this about quality score: "Rather than showing you different Quality Scores throughout the day, we show you a single Quality Score that gives you an estimate of that keyword's overall quality." - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en

So, you see an estimated Quality Score, but Google calculates the ad rank based on actual CTR.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi David,
Considering your scenario, the deciding factor wrt Ads Position and Bid for specific Auction are decided based on many other factors:
1. Historical Performance of your Campaign (Especially your CTR, Conversions, Quality Score, how long)
2. Your keyword match types may play a role here.
3. The structure of your campaign. How efficient your Adgroup is (categorization). whether you have specific adgroup with minimal theme based keywords with specific Ads reflecting your keywords.
4. if you assume keywords with geo modifier, location of the user plays a role.

Thanks,
Balu
www.locsea.com, Google Adwords Certified Partner

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

My first thought is, how do you know his QS? Unless you are friends with your competitor and he shows you his account, there's no way of telling. But I will assume that you somehow know. I'm also assuming the same keywords.

One issue with the QS shown in an account is that it is not the "true" QS. What I mean by that is that the QS used has a lot more resolution, has more decimal points. Your QS is not really 10, it's 9.73294 and his is 9.52984 or something like that. There is always a difference at some decimal level that you don't see and therefore, even if both bid the same, one will always come out on top.

Pete said the same thing and thinks it's a theory but there's no question in my mind that Google works that way. Think of it this way: one advertiser bidding $0.20 with a QS of 7 and another bidding $0.14 with a QS of 10. They would always be equal using rounded numbers and that likely happens very often and for many advertisers in the same auction. Google needs to be more detailed as far as a number it uses for a QS for its calculations.

The other thing is that I don't believe that a QS of 10 is the highest possible value. The highest displayed value, yes. But probably not the absolute highest value of the real QS with all those decimals. One of you may actually be 10.37643 and the other 9.52984. The displayed values are rounded off so both display 10.

The basic ranking formula is CTR times bid but it does not mean that is an absolute. I'm sure that even if you vastly outrank competitors each time, the system is going to move you up or down a position once in a while just to see what happens and gather more meaningful data. So it may be where Google ends the discussion but there is surely more behind this.

QS is also calculated based on different things, different QSs, such as geography, landing page and what not. You may have a higher QS when ads are shown in one city or state than another. Your overall QS is an amalgamation of all the different types of QS calculations. It's mostly based on CTR but other factors as well.

Put it all together and two accounts that seem to be the same, one will have one competitor coming out on top most of the time but at other times, the other will come out on top.