Guide Me
star_border

QS for 2 exact scenarios vary wildly

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All

I am now completely perplexed. I have a campaign for carpet cleaning setup with multiple adgroups representing different parts of town. They are all the same in nature with only the town name different.

Although that have the exact same in common with the landing page, they are vastly different QS. One will be a 4 and the other 10.

Here's an example

*1  Group - Chelsea

*2  Group - Watford

*1  Keyword - Carpet cleaning Cheslea

*2  Keyword - Carpet cleaning Watford

*1  Ad - Carpet Cleaning Chelsea

High Power Cleaning In Your Home

Call Today For a Quote

myURL/chelsea

myURL

*1  Ad - Carpet Cleaning Watford

High Power Cleaning In Your Home

Call Today For a Quote

myURL/watford

myURL

The landing page is very generic and is optimised for the term carpet cleaning but doesnt mention any town names, this goes for the terms Watford and Chelsea. This is the case as there are 100s of towns and listing them would be too much and develeoping a page for each is a long term goal.

BUT WHY is Carpet cleaning watford a QS4 and carpet cleaning chelsea a QS10  ???

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: QS for 2 exact scenarios vary wildly

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Warren

Am I right in assuming that you have set up everything within the same "Campaign", with different "Ad Groups" within that single Campaign? However its best to avoid duplicate keywords within your ad groups. Bear in mind that Google shows only one ad per advertiser on a particular keyword, so there's no need to include duplicate keywords in different ad groups or campaigns. Identical keywords compete against each other, and the better-performing keyword triggers your ad. 

An example of how a campaign should be structured with the aim of promoting a single product / service can be viewed here, and an example of how a campaign should be structured with the aim of promoting multiple products / services can be viewed here. In my opinion your campaign should fall into the first example as you appear to be offering or advertising a single service, namely carpet cleaning - Chelsea and Watford are Geographic modifiers to your keywords.

Perhaps you should consider "Location Targeting" - this feature will allow you target your specific ads to those specific areas. You can read up on Location Targeting here.

With regard to the difference in quality score, have a read of this article, which may help.

Hope this helps and apologies in advance if I am completely off the mark.

Dave

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Yes they are on the same campaign

Unfortunetly although the keywords are 66% duplicate the town variable is most important

You could view the area of Watford or Chelsea as the product

People searching for watford will not click on an ad with Chelsea.

I have already targeted the desired area to show my ads which is London which covers both Watford and Chelsea

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Warren

That was quick!!!

I understand what you are saying - so in other words you are treating your campaign as a mulit service campaign? 

Did the article on QS help you answer your main question?

Dave

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes thanks

Problem though is the keywords will be phrase match and have very good CTR% I'm talking 80% plus over a 5 month period

They are pretty much the same in every respect however the QS is so different, really driving me mad trying to figure it out

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Does the Landing Page mention London? - I know you said it didn't mention Watford or Chelsea.

Dave

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Funnily enough... I've checked and... No

It used to be optimised heavily for London in the title and at various points throughout the content but having just checked. No it doesnt at all mention any town or city.

Do you think that could be a problem?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Well relevancy plays a big part in determining QS as you know, I am not based in the UK, but is Watford in London?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yeah Watford and Chelsea are both in London

I cant have all the towns in London listed on the home page because its spammy

I've added a few London keywords into the content just in case

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Sorry Warren (it would take a Paddy to point this out!!!!) - I just Google'd Watford, its in Hertforshire. This could be the problem, especially as you have Location Targeting set for London???