5.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

QS & Landing Page User Experience - Sudden Drop

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've read the FAQs and searched the help center. 
My URL is: 

Hi everyone.

Looking for some feedback, advice and or help. Recently all of our paid search landing pages took a huge hit in quality score due to a "below average landing page user experience". We used to have QS 6 and up in our account and recently everything dropped to below 4. 

Im looking for any feedback to determine if this was an algorithm change or what happened for all KW QSs on our account to take such a drastic and immediate hit.

I appreciate your assistance!
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: QS & Landing Page User Experience - Sudden Drop

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

HI Caroline,

As far as i know there was no public algorithm change about how QS being determined for landing page experience. Have you tried creating similar kind of ad with same landing page in a different campaigns to see how the quality score would appear for landing page?

Usually in a long term campaign QS can be determined and change from past user behavioral datar related to your ads. but sudden drastic change in QS is bit unusual  

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nisal,

Thanks so much for your feedback.

We have done this and unfortunately it comes up with the same results. Whether it to be new campaigns or old ones, our quality score is deteriorating due to poor landing page user experience.

We realize a big overhaul is likely in order for our PPC landing pages. It's just a matter of which things to test first while still staying within our current business model. Things we're A/B testing are:
-Forcing a pop up for the lead form before visitors can look at inventory vs. letting them scroll through and get details on a few listings before getting the pop up
-Less graphs / statistics for that area & faster loading time vs. slower loading time and more information
-Putting keywords verbatim in the headers vs a general header for all keywords

Any thoughts?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Other than pop up idea I agree with other ones 

Do you mind sharing the landing page URL here? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nisal,

We are a lead gen based company so the pop-up is somewhat necessary for the companies model.

URL is:

http://www.orlandomontverderealestate.com/homesforsale/Bella_Collina_FL/?tmp=596&tmp2=597&from_scrip...

Any thoughts or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I don't know how many keywords you have or what is the match type you use but i have the following things to consider:

1. Check for sudden rise of impressions - some event may give boost to some of them that way lowering your CTR which is one of the main components of QS. Add negative keywords
  2. Put a privacy policy link at the bottom of each page. The Google robot is surely giving penalties for not having one. You have contact info there but it may not be understood as site owner info
  3. Again at the bottom - the copyright info is the domain. This may be understood as scam site not presenting the real owner. Definitely remove http from it and put there the company name, selling that properties
  4. Check for hacker attacks, code snippets that redirect to other sites or error pages that redirects to nowhere. It again may give info to Google that its not a secure site
  5. Previous Popups may cause dramatic effect to QS. Remove if any. If that's the case you need to rise the bids until Google crawls your site again

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Caroline,

These issues that appeared and were reported in these articles just happened last night and into today.The likelihood of you having this particular issue on the 18th when you first reported here would be quite interesting seeing as no other advertiser recognized them until yesterday. That said, nothing is out of the realm of possibilities.

I think you'll know for sure once Google announces that the fix for the latest bug has occurred.

They recognized the issue just this morning https://plus.google.com/+GoogleAds/posts/UZMcjQ84WC7

So, my recommendation is to hang tight until this is resolved and then check again to see if your QS have been restored.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Agreed, I do think however that it is ironic. Our fell drastically overnight and these people seem to experience many of the same symptoms regarding landing page user experience. I am hoping its a glitch as we haven't found any sort of a solution and I'm estimating its cost us over 10k in additional ad spend at this point. Holding tight and will post if I see any changes.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Caroline,

Guess the issue just got you earlier. Just read all articles and started to check our campaigns. I do have labels for some and for others i know because i'm looking them every day. 27th - from 9/10 to 6/10. Landing page is gone with problems when there aren't any. We do follow all guidelines and rules about it. I'm checking words with 1 ad group, 1-2 ads tailored for them and a tailored landing page.

Well now we can just wait... I don't see what else we can do