AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

QS affected by CTR of other keywords in ad group?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have most of my keywords as exact, phrase and BMM match.

My goal is to optimize for conversions.

I want to use my BMM keywords to discover new keywords that I can then experiment with. I want to use the exact keywords and phrase keywords to convert at an optimum rate.

My question is this:

If I understand correctly, the CTR on which the Ad Rank is based is the CTR of the exact version of the particular keyword that has triggered the ad. And if there is no exact version of that keyword in the ad group, then Google only calculates the Quality Score for that keyword based only on the times that the search query matched your BMM keyword precisely. The average CTR of a campaign/ad group does not come into play here.

So, if I experiment with BMM keywords first and then add the keywords that convert well as phrase and exact matches to the same ad group, then the CTR of my experiments do not have a bad influence on the quality scores of the other keywords in the ad group. Right? (except for maybe general account history which I know also plays a small role)

Couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere so I was hoping an expert could confirm that this train of thought is correct.

If, however, the CTR from my experiments does affect the CTR of my other keywords, would you advise me to put my experiments in separate ad groups in order to prevent this?

Any insights are much appreciated!

Reinout

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: QS affected by CTR of other keywords in ad group?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Reinout,

the short answer is yes: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en-GB
but as you can see, there are many variables.
How we calculate Quality Score

To calculate this Quality Score, we look at a number of different things related to your account. By improving the following factors, you can help improve your Quality Score:

Your keyword's expected click-through rate (CTR): The expected CTR is based in part on the keyword's past CTR, or how often that keyword led to clicks on your ad
Your Display URL's past CTR: How often you received clicks with your Display URL
**Your account history: The overall CTR of all the ads and keywords in your account**
The quality of your landing page: How relevant, transparent and easy-to-navigate your page is
Your keyword/ad relevance: How relevant your keyword is to your ads
Your keyword/search relevance: How relevant your keyword is to what a customer searches for
Geographic performance: How successful your account has been in the regions that you're targeting
Your ad's performance on a site: How well your ad's been doing on this and similar sites (if you're targeting the Display Network)
Your targeted devices: How well your ads have been performing on different types of devices, such as desktops/laptops, mobile devices and tablets – you get different Quality Scores for different types of devices

Cheers

JT

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi JT,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have read the help center article on Quality score extensively and I've read it again after your comment.

I doesn't say anything about the influence of a keywords' CTR on the quality score of other keywords in the same ad group (besides the account history).

So, I guess it's safe to conclude that I can experiment with BMM keywords without having to worry about any negative influence on the quality scores of other keywords in that ad group...

Anyone who can (re)confirm this?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rynout
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Reinout,

Your BMM keywords experiments will have an influence (negative or positive) on the newly added keywords.

For Newly-Launched Keywords, Performance on Related Keywords: Does Matter - Instead of measuring new keywords from scratch, we start with info about related ads and landing pages you already have. If your related keywords, ads and landing pages are in good shape, we’ll probably continue to have a high opinion of them. Always invest in growing your coverage on relevant searches, especially in areas where your ads have the
potential to be high quality.

Check this link http://adwords.blogspot.in/2014/06/more-insights-about-quality-score-and.html

Download and read the 'Settling the Quality Score' e-book.

The same document states - There is no such thing as ad group-level, campaign-level or account-level Quality Score. Smiley Happy

Hope this helps,

Deepak

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Here is the article you are looking for:

Please note that "exact match CTR" is a bit different than the "way"  you defined it.

Also, read about  the QS for a newly added KW (asInfo mentioned.)

>>..."we take into account the exact match CTR of the keyword, as it’s a better indicator of the effectiveness of the keyword. (The exact match CTR refers to the number of times the keyword has triggered an ad when the search term exactly matched the keyword.) For example, if our keyword ‘red shoes' is in broad match, it triggers our ad even for search terms like 'red shoe’, ‘formal shoes’, ‘horse shoe,’ etc. However, the exact match statistics point out exactly when the keyword ‘red shoes’ triggered our ad and was clicked on by the user when he searched for the exact search term ‘red shoes’.  "

>>..."when we add fresh keywords, initially, they’re awarded a historical Quality Score based on their previous performance on Google.com. And only once the keyword starts accruing statistics, the system then evaluates its Quality Score based on its recent performance. This doesn’t happen dynamically but is a gradual process"

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Ingredients-of-the-Quality-Score-...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’