AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

QS Obsession and Frustration

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am a little OCD with metrics, especially QS.

I aim to get 10/10 on every keyword in the account. I've almost succeeded, however there are the odd "7-9" in the account and it is actually expected CTR that is "average". Yet for example over the past 30 days, it has a CTR of 13%. I don't believe that is average by any stretch of the imagination AND surely it cannot even technically be average? I have keywords with higher CTR's, but still. 

Any ideas on what I can do in situations like this?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: QS Obsession and Frustration

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Paul, the best solution is to stop obsessing over QS!

Quality Score is an important metric, for sure, but it's only part of the optimisation process.  It's very important to realise that it is not necessarily possible to get all Keywords to 10/10 so you could well be wasting a lot of time trying to do so.

Google considers 5/10 to be an average QS, so if you're worrying about 7s and 9s, you really shouldn't be.

As for "what's an average CTR", I agree that 13% is pretty good, but it's quite possible it's below average.  I have some Keywords that average over 40% CTR and many that average over 20% but chasing a higher CTR in your case may still not give you that 10/10.

My honest advice is to be very happy with the QS you've already achieved and spend that valuable time saved working on new Ad variations, landing page optimisation and other aspects of AdWords management.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Paul, you might already be aware of this but Google recently changed the way it reports keyword quality score in AdWords. However, this only applies to new keywords. New keywords will now default to a reported score of 6 and the scores will update when enough impressions accumulate in a day or so. Just in case you see a lower than expected QS on some new keywords.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon,

This particular keyword bugs me, as it happens to be the keyword that's costing me the most per click. So achieving a QS of 10 would be ideal.

This particular auction is always full, so 10-11 ads, plus the organic results. I'd be surprised if any of the competitors ads were getting higher than 13% in this particular auction. While I have 50% CTR in some adgroups, this one is particularly competitive. I guess I am just saying that I feel there is something more to this beyond my CTR actually being "below average".

However, you're right, I cannot obsess too much, at the neglect of other important areas of my campaigns.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Niall, yes, this is an old keyword with lots of data. Cheers

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hello, Paul.

I would like to begin by saying that for perfect relevance, OCD should be spelled CDO. With the letters in the right order. As they should be, you know Smiley Happy.

On the other hand, have a look at auction insights, see who's beating you for that particular keyword and study their tactics. Make sure you've got the keyword in the ad, that you have all extensions possible, the bid is high enough, etc.

On the other hand (the third, if I counted right, which means we've moved to a second person), if the keyword is not in exact match, you may be looking at the wrong CTR.

Imagine the keyword "widget", in phrase match, having a CTR of 13%, which is compounded of 6 clicks for the search term blue widget and 7 clicks for the term widget itself. Out of 100 clicks. The QS of that particular keyword only uses the CTR of the search term widget in its calculation. All the clicks for blue widget are not counted towards the QS of that keyword. The fact that you got 6 more clicks for blue widget does not help. And maybe, just maybe, for auctions where the exact term widget is used, you're not doing as well as others. BTW, if you use the Ad Preview tool and search precisely for that keyword, where do you stand, compared to your competition? If you're not in P1 chances are others have a better CTR (in case they're not bidding insanely more than you do).
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hehe AdWiser Smiley Tongue

Here is the scenario; I am competing against several fortune 500 companies with insane budgets. Yet according to the auction insights and keyword tool, we are smashing competition in every single keyword. Actually, number 1 for everything we compete in, not meaning to blow my own trumpet.

For this specific exact match: 95.68% impression share, Average Position 1.6, Top of page rate 85.23. Which isn't as good as some of the other adgroups, but still beating the competition.

I guess I will live with the QS it has, I just hoped there was something obvious that I'd missed. Great last point btw, but this is exact match.

The fact we're number 1 for the keyword, with a 13% CTR and a 37% conversion rate, I shouldn't really care. I do, but for now I'll pretend I don't Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Now I get a clearer picture, Paul. I think the fact that you're not always on top has an influence here and that's why you're not awarded a QS of 10.

You may test higher bids for a while, see how they influence your position, your actual CPC and ultimately the QS. Maybe if you get more often on top will get your ad to show with extensions more often, get a higher CTR and thus a higher QS.

IIWIWIIDID (If it works, it works, if it doesn't, ... it doesn't Smiley Happy.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.