AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

QS: From ~7 to 2 overnight - Tips on Finding Consultant?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello- Been using Adwords for years. Its a small account with only a handful of keywords. I usually monitor the account on a daily basis.

On Oct 20, the avg WS for 3 keywords ad group went from 7 to 2. I hadn't changed a thing. The CTR hadn't changed. Thus, I can't really explain what happened. I'm getting the warning the ads are rarely showing due to CTR.

To help address it a little, I made some fine tunings to the ads (1 of the ads was still classic text- Thought Google would disapprove). They are all the updated text format and this brought be up to a ~3. The landing page is definitely designed with value and user centric content. Nothing strange or deceptive.

Any tips? I've followed Google guidelines to the best of my ability. Right now, CTR is at about 5% with 350 impressions since Oct 20.

Also, this is a small account that doesn't need much maintenance. Any tips on finding a consultant that can do a quick fine-tune and then maybe an hour a week to maintain?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Bill,

With Quality Scores you need to give Google a chance to assess the changes made to your ads. It could take a few weeks. If the only thing that has changed is ad copy, and CTR is maintained, and keywords are still in the ad copy as they were before - your QS should come right.

Also - I thought I'd share one aspect of Quality Score that you are most likely unaware of.

QS is relative to other AdWords accounts who Google deems are bidding on the same or comparable keywords. So if your ads for "blue widgets" are getting a 7% CTR, but the average of everyone else who is bidding on "blue widgets"is 15%, then that will negatively affect your QS.

That is a very simplified explanation, but what I am saying is - with uncommon keywords, improvements in someone else's account could cause your QS to drop.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Rob- Thanks for the overview. It's always helpful to be reminded of the basics. I know there's no transparency how the others are doing, but the drop was so sudden that is felt more like a sudden penalty as opposed to a basic change. Obviously, I have no idea about how the others are doing. Almost felt like my landing page was suddenly broken, but everything seems to be in place correctly.

Thx!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Again- Think I found a possible reason. I'm guessing the culprit is ad rotation. I had ad rotation set to evenly show ads. Wanted to watch performance on an even level.

As a test, I changed it last night just after my ads stopped showing for the day. Logged in today and I went from a 3 to 6. Guess Google like to control things themselves. Possible control issues Smiley Very Happy

Thx.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Again- Ok, it's been awhile, but the problem came right back almost overnight. I'm completely stumped at this point and really, I'm not an expert at this.

Any tips where I can find someone to manage a smaller account?

The account probably needs a bit of a tuneup and then monthly management. The account is 7 ad groups with ~3 keywords in each group. A couple of the adgroups should be cut, they just aren't doing a whole lot. These keywords are very tightly controlled because I sell a very very niche product. It's nice because it runs itself most of the time and change happens pretty slowly.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry, Bill... nobody around here that knows about AdWords campaigns.  

JUST KIDDINGSmiley Happy  There is a list of Google Partners at the left. Good to choose from those because they have met various screening criteria and certification.

hth

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Haha... you actually got me for a sec. I read the first sentence and said, "What the....", then chuckled out loud.

Thanks for the list on the left. I hadn't looked at that and will now.

Thanks!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

ha!  I don't think you'll go wrong choosing from the Google Partners list. Best of luck with your campaign...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just to double check... when I click Communities>Google Partners on the left, I see a list of various discussions from various people. Is this the right place?

Thx!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

no, you want the Google Partners directory... I should have posted this link:

Google.com/Partners