QS: 9, CTR: 0.07% :(

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have a keyword:  Packages Bangkok, broad

QS: 9/10

CTR: 0.07%

1 click / 1360impressions

My ad copy has both bangkok and packages in it.  Yes, this is about travel.  

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here.  Suggestions to increase CTR?

Thanks,

T

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author SEM_SAM
September 2015

Re: QS: 9, CTR: 0.07% :(

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Tudor, your problem is almost certainly related to the Broad match type.  With Broad matches, any of the words in a keyword can trigger the display of an Ad so in your case your Ad could be triggering on any search containing the word "Bangkok".

I'd advise you refine all your keywords to use the Modified Broad Match at the minimum, which should help make your Ads more tightly focused, bringing a better CTR.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author SEM_SAM
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Tudor, your problem is almost certainly related to the Broad match type.  With Broad matches, any of the words in a keyword can trigger the display of an Ad so in your case your Ad could be triggering on any search containing the word "Bangkok".

I'd advise you refine all your keywords to use the Modified Broad Match at the minimum, which should help make your Ads more tightly focused, bringing a better CTR.

Jon

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Ah, yes totally must've slipped my mind that i may be triggering the broad stuff. d'oh! Thanks Cobs.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

No problem, you're very welcome.

Jon

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Apart from using broad matches, do you have the content (display) network enabled? If so, turn it off.

Note that a QS of 9 is very good. Your QS is a measure of how well your ad is doing against competitors using the same keyword. I would not worry about the actual click rate. If your QS is 9 with a CTR of 0.07% (assuming that's all search), it means your competitors are doing worse. You also don't tell us the position which will affect the click rate, another reason to pay attention to the QS because it takes the position into account. I've seen QS of 10 in first position with an actual CTR under 1% and QS of 5 in the same position with CTR near 10%. It's all relative.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hiya,

Having search partners enabled also brings CTR down but Google is clever enough to attribute the right ad position for the right search engine. You could look at the TOP vs. OTHER segment at the Keyword level which would give you a better view of your impression split (even shows data for the Display network)...

Hope this helps too Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

create a new campaign with 3 adgroups one call hotels | bangkok | cheap, hotels | bangkok | 5 Star, etc make several of them if they offer all inclusive then use that then make the kws phrase like "bankok hotels cheap" and "cheap bankok hotels" etc then write and ad Title: {KeyWord:Bankok Hotels Cheapest} Write the ad with the kw in there like 12 times or more (I've done lots of travel) then use the sqr's to build out the bmm and exact match campaigns and keep em all seperate and use exact match neg lists in shared library more on that on our site AdWords Match Types