Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Products With Similar Keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

We are getting ready to launch two new products next month, both of which are very similar to products we already have. I'm currently in the research phase and am trying to come up with a way that limits competition amongst our own products. A lot of the targeted keywords will be very similar. Anyone have this same issue in the past or have any suggestions? Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Nick,

There are a few things I would suggest!

These apply if your products are on the same domain:

You could either run multiple ad groups with specific negative keywords for what separate the products apart. 

You could run both products on the same keywords but set up an experiment on the ad level to run them 50/50 for each ad auction.(this basically will show an ad for product B at the first auction then switches to product A on the second auction.)

If each you are a local business, you could target each product to different locations around you and then adjust the locations on the campaigns weekly(or your preference)

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

That being said, if you are targeting similar keywords for both products under the same domain, that shouldn't have an effect on your outside competition or CPC.

Google runs through their process of determining the best option from your account for the current auction and whatever your CPC is for that keyword is the one that is used. 

You'll likely see more activity on the better performing ads for one specific product since the ad rank will be higher on that one.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Do you have a category page where both products can be seen? You could try one ad group for both products. If they are very similar, showing the choices in the landing page might work better.

People who search for specific products and visit an ecommerce site - if they buy something it is usually not the exact product they searched for.