AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Product Listing Ads

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I've got an Ad Group for Product Listing Ads (targetting all products in my merchant feed), but I've also got a Campaign for Product Listing Ads in the same account (split into ad groups with "product_type" targets for our main products).

There's not much in it as far as performance, but I just wondered what peoples take on this was and how others have their Product Listing Ads set up?

Cheers

Neil

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Product Listing Ads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Neil.

I'm a huge fan of PLAs, and I go for one campaign per account, as many ad groups as there are products, one target per ad group and bidding according to margin per sale and expected conversion rate.

Seems to be working really nice as I can quickly see which ad groups are not getting impressions, what my costs per ad group are and then I can match them to margin per product and see if they're working or not. However, I do not pause non-performing products as long as the campaign as a whole works, just because they happen to be under the margin per conversion level. I do pause them though when I see they attract a lot of non-converting traffic and just do not convert, while clearly spending way above their share.

I can't say it's an easy way of doing things though, and I really think that I should start automating more of the reporting / decision process, as it is rather time-consuming.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

nice one, thanks.

that all makes sense. but can you clarify something for me? On Product Listing Ads I only bid at ad group level, as I don't have keywords in the ad group, just the product targets. Would you suggest the use of keywords? (I keep an eye on search queries and even without the use of keywords, the product_type seems to do a good job).

On the subject of the feed, ours is generated automatically by our website, is this a good way of doing things, or would anybody suggest manual work on the feed to have a bit more control?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello, Neil.

You cannot use keywords in a pure PLA campaign. They are disregarded by the system. And in Google Analytics, product targets are reported instead of keywords, as this is how targeting is done.

What you can do is bid at ad group level, and in case you want to go for more product targets in one ad group, you can also bid at product target level.

About auto-generated feeds, all I will say is that they're a compromise many of us have to live with. But I have clearly had better results with tweaked feeds, and in fact even talked about designing a feed-management interface, unrelated to the auto-generated feed.

One quick tip: watch the length of your product titles versus the length of your search queries. You'll be surprised to see that for many product related search queries, the search term length is significantly shorter than the product title, leading to less relevance Smiley Happy.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Calin,

The reason I asked about keywords for product listing ads was that I see the following message under the keyword tab in a campaign that is specifically PLA's: 

"Your campaign settings show that you want to run text ads on search pages. You'll need to add keywords for your ads to run."

Must admit I haven't noticed this message in the past.

I like the idea of a feed management interface, because we generally get good conversions using product listing ads, but at the moment don't really have that much control.

Cheers for the tips

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'd prefer it if you could add keywords to PLAs, when doing Ad Group per target. Some tips. Use negatives keywords and check you search terms in the Dimension tabs. I've noticed some queries I DONT want my PLA triggered for. I'm getting queries that would show up for a broad keyword. No bueno. So use negatives and check the report. Hmm, maybe PLAs and text ads should merge...

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@neil s wrote:

Hi Calin,

The reason I asked about keywords for product listing ads was that I see the following message under the keyword tab in a campaign that is specifically PLA's: 

"Your campaign settings show that you want to run text ads on search pages. You'll need to add keywords for your ads to run." 

Neil, are you sure it's not a general search campaigns which also has product extensions, and in some ad groups you have neither keywords nor product targets, making it impossible for the system to target that ad group.

I saw that message at one point in the past, but I think it was because I missed adding a product target to an ad group while working with the AdWords Editor.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Calin, it's not a big deal, I know our products ads are running ok. but the set up is: search network only, product listing ad, auto targets included and no ad extensions (apart from the product extension used to link the campaign with my feed).

Neil