AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Problems with very long search term queries

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all!

In my company we do have problems with some search term queries. The report gives out a few queries, which are very weird. They do have in general more than 80 characters and we cannot add those as negatives as the systems does not allow us, as they are too long. We think this is done by competitors to harm our account and spend our daily budget early during the day.

We do manufacture shelves for industrial use.

A query consist eg in: shop industry restaurant catering gastronomy supermarket kiosque trade business shelf shelves, in broad match.

And the most weird, it is not just once in a while happening we have massive impressions and clicks on those search querys! 

As we cannot add those as negatives, and even if, they could just change the order and would be back on track. We do want to work with our keyword in broad match (industry shelf). 

So therefore I was wondering if there is another way to add negatives; eg:

If one of those terms shop restaurant catering gastronomy supermarket kiosque trade business comes in combination with "our" keyword

industry shelf the ad should not be shown.

Probably may not exist, but would be maybe an interesting feature to be added? Or am I wrong and is there help?

Because so far I just think of adding those shop restaurant catering gastronomy supermarket kiosque trade business seperatly as negatives in broad..will this help?

And to have Google having a deeper look inside our account for invalid click fraud and mazbe one step further to get to the IP and exclude (in case it is one repeating..)

Somebody can help on it?

Thanks a lot in advance!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Problems with very long search term queries

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Ramona.

Any single word which is part of that long query, if it is used in negative phrase match, blocks the whole query.

-"shop"

-"restaurant"

-"catering"

-"gastronomy"

-"supermarket"

-"kiosque"

-"trade"

Here's how it's done: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=67991

Invalid clicks can be reported here http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6432 or http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=78390, but it is you who has to look at the webserver logs and find out which is the IP that comes up very frequently (talk to your webmaster or server administrator about this).

Good luck.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I have seen such long search phrases too, and to my believe they are comming from the Search Network, where some sort of categorisation is been used  like : Furniture, Chairs and Sofa's, Sofa's, Leahter, Brown

Could anyone confirm this  ??

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@marketsharer wrote:

I have seen such long search phrases too, and to my believe they are comming from the Search Network, where some sort of categorisation is been used  like : Furniture, Chairs and Sofa's, Sofa's, Leahter, Brown

Could anyone confirm this  ??

Yep. Confirmed. Strange keywords which seem related to a certain taxonomy do appear in my Search partners segment.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

FYI, read:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=90956

Relevant quote (emphasis added): "The Search Network includes Google search result pages, result pages, pages related to search results, and site directory pages on search partner sites like ..."

Not all search clicks are actually searches.  Caveat emptor.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

That raises a new question  : if you make those long  "search terms"  that are actually directorie pages, negative,   (  because you see they do score bad)  would they then not be shown in that part of that directorie anymore  .... ??

( Excuse me for my bad English)

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello,

I am here to learn best practices shared by members here, yet just want to contribute and share my views. I will be gald if my answers can solve the purpose.

When we add "any word from search long term" as a broad negative at campaign level. It will not trigger adcopy again anywhere in the search network for any search query that includes that "term".

I prefer to use Negatives with Match types & prefrebly at adgroup level.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’