Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Problem with Synonyms, I think

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

Actual website names changed for privacy reasons!

We have a website in the UK called Biscuit.co.uk which prices in sterling and is set up for the UK customers. Traffic comes from AdWords Display and has been going well for over 7 years. We also get orders from the USA. 3 years ago had a brainwave and decided to set up cookie.com which is exactly the same site BUT prices in dollars and whenever “biscuit” is mentioned it’s replaced with “cookie” thereby we thought making a more localised experience for USA customers.

Unfortunately I have never been able to get AdWords display traffic to cookie.com to work. The campaigns just don't seem to get going for any bid price.  In fact I have a campaign running for biscuit.co.uk targeting the USA in case anyone uses that term (maybe some brits abroad) and this give about 100 clicks per day. Few weeks ago I started a campaign for cookie.com in the USA and this didn’t get going AND it actually reduced the impressions/clicks for biscuit.co.uk

I somehow think that Google is thinking that biscuit is the priority and stopping cookie.

I know some of my competitors have gone to the extreme lengths of having a “sister” site that is completely unconnected even using different payment methods and pricing models but I would like to do this properly and not try to spoof Google.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Problem with Synonyms, I think

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Mike,

From what you tell here, it looks you are using 2 different domains to target each country and only for PPC purposes.

I would always suggest using IP mapping to deliver the correct version of your website depending on geo location, e.g, "us.biscuit.co.uk" for US located clients - disallowing crawling in a robots.txt file -.

In this scenario you wouldn't' need to worry about your PPC campaigns, one would be fine for both markets as the website will show the US version for people located in the US and the same for UK.

Since you are using 2 different domains, I suggest you have one campaign for each website and target only the region where you want that website available, e.g, campaign for UK, targeting only the UK and same for US.

Diogo

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Diogo,

Many thanks however we are where we are and we are getting organic traffic t9o both sites so I’m not sure I want to change anything that end.

Anyway I think that all I’m trying to do is talk to customers in their language and I don’t think that biscuit will mean a lot to people in the USA.

I’m looking for an AdWords solution really if there is one.

Kind regards,

Mike

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello there;

• Can you elaborate how campaigns are set? 
  • Do you have a separate campaign for each country? With different landing page for each location? (i.e.  a separate domain for cookies, and a separate landing page/ domain for busicits - one written in British EN and the other in American EN?)
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, I have one campaign Geo targeted to the uk the landing page being biscuits.co.uk. It uses keywords to get a theme though sometimes I gave used topics only. All are working well for the uk. I then have a separate campaign geo targeted to the usa and landing page cookies.com, again using keywords but this campaign won't fly. I have also tried topics but they don't work either. It's as if google won't allow both sites!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
A second... Something I might have missed. Are these display campaigns or search?
If display: Are you having the same set of keywords for both locations?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Mike,

I understand, but in terms of SEO I still say you would be better with one website for both markets.

In terms of AdWords, since you have been unable to bring traffic by using 2 different campaigns, I would suggest a simple solution of creating an account for each website.

Diogo

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike ,

For your campaign which does not start Try the bidding method

"viewable CPM" even at a minimum bid and you will see quick results.

This type of bidding has brought me good results even in terms of clicks and conversions and fast. I know CPM is supposed to be a bidding choice when clicks are not the goal , but with "viewable CPM" the Ads gain so much better visibility that clicks do occur. What you may see is 3000 impressions for a placement on a column and on the column "Viewable Impressions" only 1000 for which you pay. Sometimes the parity is 2000 to 1000 or lower but still profitable.

http://www.phillymarketinglabs.com/adwords-introduces-display-network-active-view-metrics/

The "simple solution" of opening two accounts could get you banned later on if you use both accounts for Search Campaigns instead of display. Read the policy about "double serving".

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2600168?hl=en

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Adrian B wrote:

The "simple solution" of opening two accounts could get you banned later on if you use both accounts for Search Campaigns instead of display. Read the policy about "double serving".

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2600168?hl=en

This is not truth. You won't be at any risk here. What Google want is to prevent companies to create several websites to reach the same market, offer the same products and use AdWords campaigns to promote them all. This will create "fake" competition since the same company will have several ads competing agains each other.

In your case, you want to target 2 different markets / countries, this will never be a problem. Some of the biggest PPC spenders have several accounts, Google knows it and they are caustious when applying this poilicy.

Again, Adrian B, it gets obvious you don't work with AdWords. So many big PPC advertisers create on account per country/region.

Diogo

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Well...  The discussion has "moved" a bit from its original topic...

Creating different accounts for the same product offering (in this case biscuits), which have similar pricing, and owned by the same business entity is a violation of the double serving.

When you have local subsidiaries of the same business entity, OR different brands  OR different pricing in each location, then setting different accounts is OK:  But, if one business sells  same product offerings,  in multiple locations, all campaigns should be under one account!

The language in the link Adrian provided is clear.  I know that agencies do use this practice (i.e. Multiple accounts for different locations, for the same product offering). However; this is a violation. (Unless the separate accounts are set in accordance with the rules in the Policy)