AdWords
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Priority - this keyword "beats" that keyword. How to do it?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey guys... I have a cake shop, here is one of the keywords I target:

+baby +shower +cakes

I recently added this keyword:

+pittsburgh +cakes

Now, if somebody types this:

pittsburgh baby shower cakes

That matches *both* the baby shower cakes keyword and the pittsburgh cakes keyword.  However, the baby shower cakes landing page is much stronger than the pittsburgh cakes landing page - in the baby shower cakes landing page, I show *specifically* baby-related cakes, whereas in the pittsburgh cakes ad, I show just cakes in general.  So I'd much rather send them to the baby shower cakes page.

Unfortunately, it doesn't make the right choice by default.  Is there a way to encourage it to do the right thing?

Here's one thing I tried: create a separate keyword:

+pittsburgh +baby +shower +cakes

and put that in the baby shower cakes ad group.  That keyword has "low search volume" so it disables it instantly.  So no effect.

How do I channel people to the right ad?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jyelon
September 2015

Re: Priority - this keyword "beats" that keyword. How to do it?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

One option is to but the negative keyword:

-baby

in your pittsburgh cakes ad group.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey There,

Could you describe your account structure, specifically, campaigns, ad groups, keywords?

It sounds like this could possibly be solved with a better organized account. Not knowing what this looks like, I'm going to assume that +pittsburgh +cakes and +baby +shower +cakes are in the same ad group. At the very least, I would divide these into two separate ad groups, if not campaigns. The tighter your campaigns/ad groups are the more targeted your keywords, ads and landing pages will be.

If these terms are in separate ad groups/campaigns, you can gain assistance by adding negative keywords. For example, if you don't want your 'Pittsburgh Cake' specific keywords/ads triggered when 'Pittsburgh baby shower cake' search queries are entered, you can add the term 'baby shower' as a negative keyword to your 'Pittsburgh Cake' ad group/campaign.

Lastly, when a keyword has a low search volume it means it is inactive for a time being. When Google decides that there is enough search volume to serve ads for these keywords, it will automatically be reactivated, so it may have an effect at some point. I have several keywords that contain the same status and they still accumulate impressions and clicks. Try adding it as a broad match keyword and not modified broad match, or scale the '+' back to only a few queries in the string, for example 'pittsburgh +baby +shower cake'.

Thanks,

BlueIon

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

jelon;

This is a great question that touches one of the core subjects of AdWords: When several keywords match a search query, which one is used?

Understanding what is behind this subject, and how AdWords trigger the most relevent ad, is a hard subject, but a fascinating one (in my view... Smiley Tongue). I will try to make it a simple:

The basic rule is easy: (though, there are exceptions to any rule... Smiley Wink): the keyword that triggers the ad will be the one that mostly matches the search query . And, if you think about it, that is what makes AdWords so neat : the principle of "relevancy", that governs all aspects of the AdWords platform.

So, to figure which keyword would trigger your ad, we should find the queries that trigger your ads (there is a report on that). Then, in order to cut competition among similar keywords in the same ad-group or in different ad-groups. we need to re-structure your keywords and ads in new ad-groups or campaigns.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jyelon
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

One option is to but the negative keyword:

-baby

in your pittsburgh cakes ad group.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello,

As per my opinion, search query at Adgroup Level helps in such situations. I always seen immense improvement by using negative keywords at agroup level. 

When you add negative keyword at adgoup level make sure you are not using same keyword as Positive Keyword in your adgroup. Using same keywords as Positive & Negative keyword  in an adgroup effects quality score.

Thanks,

Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey, this looks confusing sometimes you have keyword conflict coming around within the same type of keywords. I am also facing same issue.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I tried RBall's suggestion, that worked for me.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
ok, let me try this and see if it works for me or not.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Looks like its working for me as well . Thanks all.