6.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Preventing negative keyword overlap

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can someone please provide an example of how to prevent negative keywords from overlapping with good keywords?

For ex., if my good keyword is "Landscaping Louisville KY", would a negative keyword of "Landscaping Jobs Louisville KY" block the other keyword from showing ads?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Preventing negative keyword overlap

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

A lot depends on match types. If you're using Broad match for both of these, then there's a slight possibility of blocking. I suggest using Phrase match for your negative keyword (or even Exact match, if you're trying to block that specific phrase) and then you will block only the precise searches you're trying to block.

Or, you could try blocking "landscaping jobs" without the geo-modifier. That will block a larger range of 'landscaping jobs' searches, without blocking those that your positive keyword is targeting/

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I would ask and suggest that you discontinue doing that. Now it appears to other forum members that my question has been answered when it has not.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm sorry, before the body of your reply was invisible and I could only read the signature for some reason. Thank you for the reply, very helpful.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Theresa_Zook,
I am asking after adding 'Jobs' as negative keyword, will Ad trigger when user will search "Landscaping Jobs Louisville KY" or any search term with 'Jobs' in any order?

Thanks

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Santosh,
If you have 'jobs' as a Negative Keyword, it will prevent your Ad from showing anytime a searcher has 'jobs' in their query. Doesn't matter what order it is, or where in the query it shows up, as long as 'jobs' is a Negative, it will restrict Ads from ever appearing when 'jobs' is in query.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi,

If I am allowed join in the conversation, I would strongly suggest to add variations of negative terms too such as If you adding jobs, don't forget to add job too. I always add variations such as job, jobs, classes, class, cheap, cheapest etc.

Just a thought!

- Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Vectorcutco,

I suggest this really involves a precise keyword strategy, as you cannot afford to lose your successful keyword. I recommend you to do a proper analysis of your existing keywords based on their past performance say for last 30 days. This would really help you to come up with a stable negative keyword list. Look for the words that are working for you and that are not. This way you will get rid of unwanted keywords from your account. As suggested by Neha, you can try using words like free, cheap or something like that. And I would also suggest you to for the exact match for the keywords that you are very sure about. I had faced this problem in the past, now, I have segmented my account with more precise and exact match keywords.

I hope this helps.

Kapil M