AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Possible to recreate past campaign performance?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

I have a question regarding one campaign in particular in my account that has always been a stellar performer; however, after I recently hired a PPC agency that proved incompetent, even though I've restored the campaign to its prior glory using the backup from AdWords Editor, it is still sluggish nearly two months later, delivering lower volume at higher CPCs and CPAs.

Going back through data, a handful of months over the past year or two really shine out as stellar on this campaign. What I'm trying to figure out is any possible way to recreate that based on past performance data. 

For example, March 2011, September 2011, May 2012, and so on were all great months (the damage was done in June 2012). Is there any feasible way to somehow export all of the data from one of those months, and use it to create a new campaign?

Or, if this is not really an option, what are the best practices for accomplishing the goal of bringing a suddenly poor performer back to its past performance? Keeping in mind that it was basically ruined by an agency that didn't know what they were doing, and that even though it's been restored 100% to prior KWs, ads, placements, bids, and so on, it's just not kicking back in.

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Possible to recreate past campaign performance?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi ROI,

Welcome to the Community!

History in AdWords is something that is taken into account all the time in every auction.  You can work very hard to get the physical structure of your account back to it's 'glory days' (which it appears that you have) but you will still have a slightly uphill battle waiting for your good performance to reach the level it was once at.  The last few months are the most recent and most relevant history of your account and unfortunately, you cannot make that disappear. 

There are also potentially changes in the advertising environment that may or may not affect your campaigns.  New advertisers, additional budget from existing competitors etc...all of these environmental factors you will have to deal with as well.  There is no 'revert back' button in AdWords, which would be great but as you say, it's just not feasible. 

Also, if you have 'restored' your account from a backup, all of your ads, basically everything in the account has probably been reset to baseline information.  Time is your friend and your enemy in this case.  If as you say, you have resurrected your campaigns back to the state they once were at, you may need to boost your spend to accommodate the missing performance until things catch back up.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your input! And thanks for the welcome to the community - it's about time I got here, almost 10 years after I started using AdWords and seven figures in spend since then!

If restoring the campaign from AdWords Editor would set things back to baseline, that may very well be the problem - it's on CPA bidding and that's when things really went haywire, after the restore. The changes made by the PPC firm caused a gradual slowdown in performance, but it was that restore that really caused chaos.

With that in mind, here's one more question for you: Would switching back to ECPC bidding for a while make sense? The campaign was a phenomenal performer for several  years on ECPC until June 2011 when I switched to CPA. If the problem is lack of data for CPA then this would seem to be a sensible solution.

Thanks!
Frank

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey Frank,

10 Years!!  Wow, you've seen it all.  haha

Yes, this Community is great, I'm sure you have some great insight you could share with other members yourself.

Things are starting to paint a clearer picture now...I just responded to your other post about ECPC.  This appears now as if it would be a good possibility for you. 

CO/CPA requires certain conversion history so an account reset, should probably not be running on CO, in my opinion.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What I've ended up deciding to do is to create a new, separate ECPC campaign. Each ad group contains only one keyword, and is showing only on managed placements that have converted well in the past, with individual bids set accordingly based upon previous performance data. (This has been slow and tedious but hopefully it pays off!)

Now the hard part will be blocking all those placements in the old campaign so they don't compete! If this works out then I will leave the old one running on automatic placements only as a "discovery" campaign and move the good performers into the new one as time goes on.

Frank