AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Possible to filter out searches containing specific words?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It would be good if there is a way in which we can filter out any queries contianing specific words.  For example we sell software for PCs and any enquiry containing the word iPad or Android is immediatley of no use to us?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by PPCBossman (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Possible to filter out searches containing specific words?

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

In negative keywords, "Broad match" and "Phrase match" are often the same thing.

When you use Broad match type on a negative keyword, it is designed to block any search query that includes that negative keyword.

Using Phrase will block all the words, in the specified order, if your negative keyword is a multi-word string.

If you use Exact match on a negative keyword, it blocks only search queries with those precise words (in that precise order) and no others in the search query.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Domain,

You're advised to list these terms as negative broad match keywords.

-[iPad]

-[android]

You may want to read the help page linked-to below.

*** Negative keywords

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/105671?hl=en&

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your help - that's great!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

According to the article - and in my experience - I think negative keywords are a match type in and of themselves - I don't think there is such a thing as a braod match keyword - neither is there a phrase or exact match negative keyword... thus the [brackets] are redundant.

My understanding is that the negative keyword works as if it were phrase match - insofar as if the search term contains the word it will not trigger an impression.

Thus if you add ipad as a negative keyword  then any search term containing the word ipad will not trigger.

Of course, you don't have to add this in the keywords section with the "-" simply expand the section of negative keywords and add them there... Google will understand that they are negative - you do not have to write the "-"

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

>> neither is there a phrase or exact match negative keyword... thus the [brackets] are redundant.<<

You are mistaken!

I was mistaken too when I told the OP to list negative broad match terms while the examples I gave were negative exact match ones. These are the correct negative broad match keywords:

-iPad

-android

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Then now I am confused - becuaer this would imply that any word related or similar to ipad would be excluded. Thus if I were selling samsung tablets and wanted to exclude ipad's - if I put ipad as a negative it might also block tablets....

Isn't a negative, broad match keyword a dangerous thing, therefore?

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Keyword matching for negatives does not work the way it does for positive keywords. The software does not "interpret" the negative keyword and try to match other search terms to it.

Negative keywords are matched to the actual words although, as Lakatos says, you have some control over whether other keywords in a search query are considered or not.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Phew! Smiley Embarassed

I was having visions about having to go through all my acounts and set the match type....

Essentailly, then - just so I understand, a regualr keyword behaves as if it were phrase match - so if included in the search term - and a negative exact would exclude the keyword only if it matched the search term exactly.... ??

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by PPCBossman (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

In negative keywords, "Broad match" and "Phrase match" are often the same thing.

When you use Broad match type on a negative keyword, it is designed to block any search query that includes that negative keyword.

Using Phrase will block all the words, in the specified order, if your negative keyword is a multi-word string.

If you use Exact match on a negative keyword, it blocks only search queries with those precise words (in that precise order) and no others in the search query.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Got it - thanks!