AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Portfolio Bid Strategies (Outranking Share & Target Search Page location)

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have few queries regarding portfolio bid strategies.

Situation 1: Outranking share (set at campaign level)

Say , my domain is abc.com and I want to outrank xyz.com by 100% and set the portfolio strategy accordingly.Now xyz.com selects the outranking share strategy and wants to outrank my domain abc.com by 100%.In this scenario who's ad will outrank whom and how the bidding amount is decided?

Situation 2: Target Search Page Location (set at campaign level)

Say I am running a campaign and have selected target search page location bid strategy at campaign level.Now at device level report I see that Mobile is performing better than Desktop.Want to understand the impact of device level bid change (say I increase it) keeping the portfolio strategy in place.

Thanks

Aritra Mukherjee

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aritra M
March 2017

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Aritra M,

Scenario 1:

In this bid strategy, the system only modifies the bids to outrank the competitor but does not improve the QS. So, the one with better ad rank will win.

Ignoring other factors if considering only the bid, it is the Max. bid limit that comes into play and after that your budget.

So, at any stage one will loose.

• If two domains are both using a "target outranking share" bid strategy, the strategies will increase each domain’s bid until one of them reaches their maximum bid limit. The participant with the best bid and quality score will earn the higher ad rank.

About "target outranking share" bidding

Scenario 2:

Device Bid adjustment will also come into play along with this bid strategy.

If you increase it, the adjustment will help to gain higher ad rank and hence higher position.

About "target search page location" bidding

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Aritra,

Good questions!

1. I've wondered the same thing and have asked Google about this before. Google told me that if two advertisers target each other with the "Target Outranking Share" bid strategy, the bids will simply keep increasing, as Google tries to help each outrank the other, until one advertiser stops using the strategy.

2. Google will use your device bid optimizations in conjunction with the "Target Search Page Location" strategy. In each auction, Google will first identify the bid they think you need in order to reach your target location on the page, and then they will increase or decrease that bid based upon your device bid optimizer.

I hope that helps!

John

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aritra M
March 2017

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Aritra M,

Scenario 1:

In this bid strategy, the system only modifies the bids to outrank the competitor but does not improve the QS. So, the one with better ad rank will win.

Ignoring other factors if considering only the bid, it is the Max. bid limit that comes into play and after that your budget.

So, at any stage one will loose.

• If two domains are both using a "target outranking share" bid strategy, the strategies will increase each domain’s bid until one of them reaches their maximum bid limit. The participant with the best bid and quality score will earn the higher ad rank.

About "target outranking share" bidding

Scenario 2:

Device Bid adjustment will also come into play along with this bid strategy.

If you increase it, the adjustment will help to gain higher ad rank and hence higher position.

About "target search page location" bidding

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

This strategy (out ranking) just increases competition and the CPC. Work on a  higher position by improving QS...

My 2 pennies...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Situation 1Smiley Surprisedutranking share will only cost you and the competitor more money for alternating 1st and 2nd position. 

Situation 2: I was told to not do any additional bid adjustments for device, audience, demographics, etc. when using RoAS bidding. I can't imagine it would be different for page location (if what I was told is, in fact, true).