AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

2.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Poor Results

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am getting poor results with Google Adwords.

My Ad:
Display Google Analytics
www.embeddedanalytics.com
Share and display Google Analytics
charts and reports on your website

The ad goes to my home page http://www.embeddedanalytics.com

Typical search terms are "dashboard google analytics", "show google analytics",

Bounce rate is over 90% and pageviews/visit hovering just over 1. Feel like I am just throwing money away.

I often post links to my site on the Question and Answer websites stackoverflow.com and webapps.stackexchange.com (if you want to see some posts go to these sites and search for embeddedanalytics). The metrics for my referrals from these sites is much better: bounce rate ~60% and pageview/visits between 3-4, and I get many conversions (i.e. user signups).

I would have thought my paid search results would be much better.

Am I doing something blatantly wrong?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark S
September 2015

Re: Poor Results

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you for detailed reply. I am using different match types, and event negative keywords (i.e. "tracking" to prevent anyone searching for "Google Analytics Tracking Code".

<<I would suggest you to first look at the actual search queries which users are entering to reach you. >>
Are you referring to Organic or Paid? Unfortunately I have very little organic traffic. And is there a way to retrieve the actual query from AdWords? All I can see is under the "Keywords" button it shows all my keywords. But this doesn't show the actual query.

<<Also, you have to send clear message to the users in your ads, what benefit they will have if then reach your website. >>
Yes - this is where I fall short. I am a technical person; perhaps need a "marketing person". To me "Create customized Google Analytics based charts and widgets
and embed them into your site without any programming!" seems pretty straight forward.

Overall as you say I am probably getting a lot of clicks from people searching for info about Google Analytics the site itself...... I will start dropping the ineffective keywords and experiment with more "relevant keywords". Do even the best Adwords people have to take a "trial and error" approach in situation like this?

One last thing, for the keyword: Show Google Analytics on website
I have a quality score of 5, "Ad Relevance" is "Below average". But the text of my ad is "Share and display Google Analytics charts and reports on your website". I just don't see how I could make the ad more relevant for these keywords....

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mark S,
The search terms users using to visit your site is not relevant because If someone searching "dashboard google analytics" or "show google analytics" they are most probably actually looking for google analytics dashboard (See attached image).This is the reason of such a high bounce rate add more relevant keywords for your sites.

Google-Analytics-Dashboard-Large.jpgThanks
Santosh

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Mark,

What type of keywords and what keyword matching options are you using to run your ads?

It looks like you are getting clicks but not the relevant users and certainly bounce rate of 90% is alarming.

I would suggest you to first look at the actual search queries which users are entering to reach you. If they are not relevant to what you are advertising, then you need to reconsider the keywords you are bidding on. You might also consider adding more negative keywords to avoid irrelevant traffic.

Also, you have to send clear message to the users in your ads, what benefit they will have if then reach your website. 

As Santosh also referred above, users could easily get confused with the Dashboard term because in Google Analytics itself you get a dashboard.

I also did a quick glance at your website homepage and I feel that it should be more attractive with some good call to actions which makes the users move to other pages of your website, thereby reducing the Bounce Rate in general.

My thoughts!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark S
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you for detailed reply. I am using different match types, and event negative keywords (i.e. "tracking" to prevent anyone searching for "Google Analytics Tracking Code".

<<I would suggest you to first look at the actual search queries which users are entering to reach you. >>
Are you referring to Organic or Paid? Unfortunately I have very little organic traffic. And is there a way to retrieve the actual query from AdWords? All I can see is under the "Keywords" button it shows all my keywords. But this doesn't show the actual query.

<<Also, you have to send clear message to the users in your ads, what benefit they will have if then reach your website. >>
Yes - this is where I fall short. I am a technical person; perhaps need a "marketing person". To me "Create customized Google Analytics based charts and widgets
and embed them into your site without any programming!" seems pretty straight forward.

Overall as you say I am probably getting a lot of clicks from people searching for info about Google Analytics the site itself...... I will start dropping the ineffective keywords and experiment with more "relevant keywords". Do even the best Adwords people have to take a "trial and error" approach in situation like this?

One last thing, for the keyword: Show Google Analytics on website
I have a quality score of 5, "Ad Relevance" is "Below average". But the text of my ad is "Share and display Google Analytics charts and reports on your website". I just don't see how I could make the ad more relevant for these keywords....

Thanks again.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
One other thing about the search query. I recall a couple months ago I was able to scrape the search query out of the "q" parameter on ad referrals. But now this always comes blank. Did google stop sending it? How can I find out what the user typed into the search box?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mark,

To see the Search Query report (What actually User Searched which trigger your Ad) In your Adwords Account Click on Keywords Tab>> Click on the Details button (right beneath performance graph)>> Under Search Terms, click All

I also Suggest you to check a great article about Search query report by one of Community member
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/30-AdWords-Tips-in-30-Days-Day-1-See-Actual-Se...

regards,
Rahul Goel

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thansk Rahul,

I am able to do that. However, my keywords are showing 18 clicks with and 841 impressions for the time range. But when I click on the Details->Search Terms->All view, I get three search term rows, of which have impressions 4,1 and 1. And only one has 2 clicks. Where are the other 16 clicks?  (note - I had earlier paused some keywords - not sure if this matters).

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Mark,

The data you get in Search Query report is not real time data. so in case you received those clicks recently it will be updated soon.
the purpose of running search query report is to check your ads are showing to relevant users searching for your products/service. i.e. you will get idea about adding new keywords or negative keywords in your account.

Hope this helps

regards,
Rahul Goel

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
thank you - I will check later.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have been looking at the Search Term report. However just about all the data is showing in the "Other Search Terms" row.

Over the time period, I had 2,367 impressions and 39 clicks. The "Other Search Terms" accounts for 2,270 and 27 clicks. I know one of the conditions on this report is that data must be 24 hours old. But this would only account for a couple hundred impressions.

So I am not getting very much value out of this report.