1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Plural versus singular keywords for optimisation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, After reading many posts on your forum, I wondered if I could ask about plural versus singular for a small targetted group of about 24 keywords. My understanding is that if a keyword is not competative for example, it is okay to use plurals, and this will make a difference in optimisation ranking for non competitive words, but conversely if a keyword is highly competitive, to achieve the best optimisation results, it is necessary to have an exact match (which for some words will be singular) to compete in optimisation, as those with the exact match will achieve higher rankings.

We naturally post articles about our products and these have appropriate keywords to that particular article.I also understood that it is better to vary singular and plural keywords as appropriate in a naturally occurring variable pattern. Is this correct?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Plural versus singular keywords for optimisation

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Masterflex U

I think you can use Modified broad match which lets you specify that certain broad match keyword terms, or their close variants, must appear to trigger your ad. Close variants include misspellings, singular/plural forms, abbreviations and acronyms, and stemmings (such as "floor" and "flooring"). Variants don't include synonyms.

You can edit the settings for keyword matching options as well:

kw matching options

Thanks

Aritra Mukherjee

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

The same would also apply to "exact match" or "phrase match". Unless  you have a very competitive keyword  which you want to break down into  its variants, to test which one has better CTR, I would keep "include plurals, misspelling and other close variants"

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
@MosheTLV
Hey thanks for rightly pointing out.I have missed to mention the same in my post.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Thanks for your advice, it is much appreciated, some of our keywords are highly competitive so it seems we are best to use plural and singular for those, but not so highly competitive keywords, would be caught through the "include plurals.."
Would you advise using exact match for better SEO on very competitive high traffic keywords?