AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Plural keywords (Plumber, plumbers, plumbing?)

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Question about singular, plural and other variations in keywords.

Currently I have the following keyword groups:

1.  +nyc +plumbing +help

2.  +nyc +plumber +help

3. +nyc +plumbers +help

Would it be better if I just had one group that contained the following:

+nyc +plumb +help

Or does Google Adwords NOT recognize the "plumb" as a root of "plumber" and "plumbing"

I saw a video that stated that google doesn't need you to put in plural keywords.  but I'm wondering about other forms of the word

5 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Plural keywords (Plumber, plumbers, plumbing?)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
You are correct that you would not need to iterate all keywords in plural form because of Google AdWords' "close variations" feature for keyword matching. Close variations also include misspellings, singular forms, acronyms, stemmings (such as floor and flooring), abbreviations, and accents: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Based on that description I believe that close variations of "plumb" would include "plumber" and "plumbing". If you decide to just use one keyword to cover all variations I would review the search term report once live to ensure that ads are showing for your desired search queries.

Also, instead of creating just using one keyword I would recommend just adding all three original keywords to the same ad group and leaving them active. This will ensure coverage of all search query variations and isn't disadvantageous to having only one keyword.

Hope this helps,
Jim
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Top Contributor, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

The Adwords Preview and Diagnosis tool under the Tools section is the best place to go for answers like this. Test you modified broad settings with various search term combinations to see if you get what you expect. You can get into some pretty interesting combinations using modified broad and phrase terms to get your best matches in a competitive environment.

You also want to keep an eye on your quality score. One factor - Keyword Quality - is evaluated  based on exactly match your keyword. The score would be the same regardless of match time. So even if Google did correctly match "plumbers" to +plumb (obviously test that one!), since few people would be searching for "nyc plumb" your quality score may be lower and your CPC higher. So when constructing modified broad keywords, use the word most likely to be searched for. You can learn more about the variations you should be testing as your account ages using the Search Terms report and the Search Console (formerly known as Webmaster Tools)

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@bobbym880

I just did a test, and I don't think plumb is considered a close variation on the Adwords side of things.   When I query "plumb <my city>" there are zero ads served. It's clear that the organic results associate this with plumbing because all the results are related to that, and words like plumbing an plumber in the urls and descriptions are in bold.

When I query "plumbing or plumbers <my city>" I get maximum ads served.  According to Trends, plumbing is what is searched the most in that area: https://www.google.com/trends/explore#geo=501&q=plumber,+plumbers,+plumbing,+plumb

Just to add on the good advice already given, I always like to start out with all possible variations.  Based on how you write your ads, or other external factors, you may find that one variation gets a mediocre QS, and another gets a great one.  If and when that is established, I pause the one(s) with the mediocre QS, and only use the one that has the best one.  That QS is then applied to the ones I just paused because it is a close variant.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @bobbym880 further to the excellent replies you've already received...

AdWords may not need you to include variations of certain words, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea to use as few as possible.  As all have said, there can be advantages to keeping (or adding) specific variations when they appear to be commonly searched terms.  Doing this may inform your decisions in terms of Ad text, landing page content and so on (although it's technically possible to see this sort of data without adding the Keywords, it's easier to add them, I feel).

Variations can, of course, have subtly different meanings and you may want to include them to take account of this.  For example, 'plumbing' could indicate a search for information by a DIY enthusiast who won't be looking for paid services whereas 'plumbers' is more likely to be looking for someone to hire.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

@Jon_Gritton

that's an excellent point. Reminds me of something I came across with a bankruptcy attorney client.  Doesn't apply in the plumber scenario, but tenses should also be thought about with close variations.  "File for bankruptcy" was triggering "filed for bankruptcy." Most of these queries that included this past tense phrase were inappropriate.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

All excellent replies already. I will be adding only a few things.

I won't advise having +nyc +plumb +help as the only keyword and expecting the system to cover all related search terms. Yes, stemming does play a role and get considered in close variants. But, it's not definitive. Also, as @David Kyle pointed out plumb is not directly relevant to plumber to be considered for stemmings. Jagua may or may not trigger ads for jaguar, the former is a type of tatoo art and the latter a car brand, a sanitary product brand or an animal. Hence, a research is required before picking the right word to be considered for stemming or to be excluded as negatives. 

Plumb may or may not trigger ads for plumber related search terms. Optimizing campaign this way is more like focusing on probability and ignoring the obvious ones. Let's focus on the obvious ones first, the probable ones can be thought about later on. Precisely after taking a look the search term reports over a period - say a week or two.

To me, you should make sure to have NYC plumber help, plumbing help etc as the main keywords, and relevant individual variations with conversion intents as stand alone keywords for an experiment. Running them for a few days will give you practical insights as to which ones are doing great and which not.

However, there can be certain challenges in having all possible variations in modified broad or broad match. There can be more than one keyword being eligible to enter the auction and a result when you mouseover some of the keywords you may come across notices like your ads are already being triggered by another keywords(s). Yes, a sort of infighting kind of thing. It's completely fine when your account is comprehensive enough and you are getting hundreds of clicks. These message should not affect you much. You can simply ignore them in the beginning and pause the non-performing ones over a period. But, if it's about a campaign with limited budget or lower exposures, the wise would be to use more of phrase/exact match keywords and bid differently (higher) on them than the modified broad match ones.

More of phrase/exact and less of modified broad match, but having them both. Bidding a bit lower on modified broad makes sure there's lesser conflict and still relevant search terms which are missed by phrase/exact are covered by modified broad.

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Tweeter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

plumber+help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jim

I  have a simialer case where i have a single product with a large number of Manufacturer/Models/Attributes/Colors/Features ....

using all keyword flavors ( such as singular/plural ) can lead to a huge number of keywords which override google maximum number of keywords in AdWords account. 

this is not an option when trying to map a 100% of a product/service.

Regards,

Hanan