3.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Please, add the ability to specify dynamic keyword match type = Exact

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My lowest preforming AdWords campaign (measured in CTR) is of the type, "Search Network only - Dynamic Search Ads".  This campaign performs with a CTR at least 50% lower than any of my other campaigns.  I believe this campaign has a lower CTR performance because all my other campaigns are set to be exact match for all keywords.  This dynamic campaign also has the lowest impression share (10%), meaning there is a significant amount of available traffic.  If I were to move to exact match, it will lower my total potential impressions, but I sould have a higher CTR to make up for loss.  I don't see a way to make the dynamic campaign exact match.  But, in the keywords details, it shows keyword traffic, specifying the keywords as exact match, broad match, and phrase match.   I spoke to a Google rep, he said requiring/etting exact match in dynamic campaigns was not possible. 

Since Google already has the functionality to show the match type of dynamic keywords, allowing a user to select/require exact match would seem to benefit Google because you'd be sending Google search visitors to a better destination relative to their query.  This would also be good for advertisers because we would be getting better quality traffic relative to the topic of each page.

Thank you for your time,

Lars 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Please, add the ability to specify dynamic keyword match type = Ex

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Lars.

The way dynamic search ads work is explained here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2471185?hl=en

And you're right in your assumption, as explained in this sentence: "Your dynamic search ads won't show when a customer's search term exactly matches one of your keywords (this applies to all keyword-based campaigns and accounts that use the same domain as your Dynamic Search Ads campaign)."

The trick with DSA is that they're just "extras", not the main act. If you feel you get impressions for irrelevant queries (or that they're too broadly matched), just look at the search terms and extract the part that is useless and add it as a phrase negative.

Ex: you need matches for "blue widgets", but not for "free blue widgets", which means that in your DSA campaign you should use -"free" as a negative, phrase match keyword.

Also, if you feel that search terms are particularly relevant, add them as keywords (exact match) in another campaign, and so on. A DSA campaign's usefulness, in my opinion, decreases in time if the above workflow is applied.

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Calin,

Thank you for your reply. But, my goal here is to encourage Google to add new functionality. I already use negative keywords and when there is a pattern in my dynamic campaigns, I create a dedicated/targeted campaign to address that pattern.

Currently, my dynamic campaign has a 3.87% CTR (with 340 clicks a day) while the remainder of my dedicated campaigns have an average CTR of 7.11%. The only thing that really differentiates the accounts is the fact that dynamic campaigns do not narrow the keywords to exact match, like is possible on the campaigns I create. In fact, every keyword I enter into my Adwords account is typically a direct match with the title/topic of the destination page. This exact match type leads to all the text in the title displaying bold and the visitor lands on the page they expect. This is why these campaigns convert so well. Plus, our website also has 80,000 unique pages. With such a large website, it is not feasible to use negative keywords to eliminate the majority of unwanted keyword as you suggest.

The problem with the dynamic campaign targeting is that when my website has a page titled “San Jose Fire Department”, the dynamic campaign makes assumptions that the page is relevant to long tail searches including these keywords. So, if someone enters “What year did San Jose Fire Department hire their first female firefighter” the broad match or phrase match in this case will display my ad. But, in this case, the user query is too long to display in the keyword section of the ad and my website does not (yet) provide information about the first female firefighter at San Jose Fire Department.

By limiting dynamic campaigns to exact match, more highly targeted ads (my ads) will be shown to each google visitor and everyone wins. Since it is possible for google to specify the match type for the relevant keywords that show up in my dynamic campaign keyword report, it should be possible to add new functionality that limits an account to exclusively use the exact match type.

Lars

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi, Lars.

I understood exactly what you'd like, but I think it would be pretty hard to implement. Please have a look at the following sentence from the descriptions of DSAs: "Instead of keywords, we use content from your website domain to target your ads to searches".

The key is "content from your website". That can be a title, a header (H1, ... H6), even a bit of bold text. So it would be pretty hard to say "I only want exact matches", because the searches can match several bits of content.

So if your page includes "san jose fire department" somewhere in the page's content, how would you define exact match when we don't know if the "keyword" is "san jose fire department" or just "fire department"?

DSAs use the organic index, so you can see ads for any search term that triggers your pages to show in the organic search results.

Sure, adding so many negatives is not feasible, but you could do the following two things:

- use webmaster tools and check the organic search queries which trigger organic impressions for your website and preemptively add negative keywords if you see your website getting impressions for irrelevant queries.
- if only the titles are important for you, try to use a csv file (in Excel for instance) where you create your own ads using page titles and some other text and upload them in bulk with the AdWords Editor. And in those ad groups you could only use exact match keywords if you like. That way you don't have to rely on DSAs to get your ads shown.

What do you think?

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Calin,

I don't think it would be as difficult for Google to implement as you suggest. Since Google already report this information, specifying the match type for every keyword impression, then building a switch that turns off broad match and phrase match would not be that difficult.

On my website, all pages only contain information relevant to the title. This is what gives us such high performing organic and paid results. So, if exact match includes any page content (headings, title, bold, etc), that would not be an issue. So, an exact match for content for any of our pages is still relevant to what google currently lists as exact match in the keyword report.

Since every page is basically defined by the title and our website is database driven, I create all campaigns by querying the database for titles and URL (for that title). This information is then used for each dynamic keyword/destination URL pair. In a matter of minutes, I can create one of these campaign with thousands of keywords through adwords editor. Despite using this technique, the dynamic campaign still provides a great source of visitors as well as finding patterns for new campaigns. The functionality I request for the dynamic campaigns would improve the CTR as well as send better quality traffic to my website.

The end result of adding the functionality I am requesting will be dynamic campaign clicks leading to better quality landing pages. This is a win for me, a win for Google, and a win for search customers.

My goal here is to build support for the idea. I appreciate your feedback & search for an alternative solution. I think the discussion helps more clearly articulate the issue at hand.

Lars

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I actually have several ideas for improvements to dynamic campaigns and dynamic keyword insertion functionality. How would I get access to a Googler who could evaluate my suggestions/lobby to make these ideas happen?