AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Please Help - I'm new & have massive confusion about bids...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

Within a large campaign I am bidding the following KW's (in seperate adgroups)

+brown +cookies [Estimated First Pg. Bid $3.00]
brown cookies with sugar and spice [Estimated First Pg. Bid $0.30]

Assume equal quality scores and flatten other variables for the sake of argument.  My question is:  When a search query such as 'i want brown cookies with sugar and spice' is eligible to trigger both ads will it always, by default, go to the highest adrank?  

My concern and confusion; If the search query triggers the +brown +cookies ad, won't it now be overpaying (because the broad match long tail was also eligble but for a significantly lower estimated cost) and also displaying a less relevant ad for the searcher?  

I suspect this is the case because many of my long tails with cheap estimated clicks get low to little volume.  Some other terms (usually +broad +match +modifiers) with higher bids get the majority of the traffic.  Looking at the SQR I can see that the higher bid BMM terms often won in position 1.  

What are the mechanics behind this?  What resources can I use to learn more about this?

What strategies can I use to ensure KW's go to the correct adgroup?

If the answer is "use negatives to direct traffic" then what strategies can I use to manage these negatives when my account has a high level of complexity?

Given my example above where the BMM term overbid the longtail broad match term, does this mean a campaign comprised exclusively of BMM & Broad terms would be fairly ineffective?  What structures should I experiment with?  What resources can I use to learn more?

Thanks for being awesome and helping Smiley Happy

-Clay

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Clayton F
September 2015

Re: Please Help - I'm new & have massive confusion about bids...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

Generally speaking, the answer is "yes" - the KW with the highest ad-rank will trigger the ad. But, there are many exceptions (e.g what happens if you bid differently for each match type.....)

Thus, the common practice is to bid the highest on exact match, lower on "phrase" and the lowest  on "broad" . This way you  avoid  overlapping, and  ensure that he most restrictive match type  triggers the ad.

This is also logical: if the kW exactly matches the search query -  you want to bid the highest to get the highest ad-rank possible.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Clayton F
September 2015

Re: Please Help - I'm new & have massive confusion about bids...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

Generally speaking, the answer is "yes" - the KW with the highest ad-rank will trigger the ad. But, there are many exceptions (e.g what happens if you bid differently for each match type.....)

Thus, the common practice is to bid the highest on exact match, lower on "phrase" and the lowest  on "broad" . This way you  avoid  overlapping, and  ensure that he most restrictive match type  triggers the ad.

This is also logical: if the kW exactly matches the search query -  you want to bid the highest to get the highest ad-rank possible.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’