Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Placementss

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello everybody,

I have a couple of small question about my placements and my placement report and I was hoping somebody here could help me out.

1. My campaign targets through keywords and the strange thing is when I analyse my performance reports I see placements who have not content on their entire website related to my keywords. And the placement I’m talking about (which happens to be a very good one by coincidence) received almost a 100.000 clicks.
  2. Some of my managed placements have according to Google Display Planner less than 1k impressions, but according to my placement report I had over 55.000.000 impressions alone in the month November. And the Google Display planner also says they don’t support any type of ads.

Does anyone know what is going on here? Or maybe I’m not looking correct at the information?

Thanks in advance,
Bram

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Placementss

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Well...as you could see targeting  by keywords (aka contextual targeting) on the display network is far from perfect.  This is due to list of keywords you have picked and how the system interprets them in  for contextual targeting. 8-15 keywords would do the job. Too many and the system gets confused...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Ok, I've working with at least 30 AdGroups with each between 8 - 12 keywords, so I guess the system got confused in my case?

And do you also know what happened in the second scenario?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again;

• 8-12 keywords should  be ok..Are these keywords collectively create a common theme?
  • As for your other question: The default "time frame" on the display planner is "weekly". Did you change it to "monthly" to match with the time frame of your data
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Moshe,

* Yes, they're are designed to create a collective theme. Almost every keyword in every ad group has a common denominator.
* I haven't, but I just tried and I get the same results. 0 - 1k Cookies and 0 - 1K impressions.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Well... The only reason I can think of, is that I have found that when Google reports 0-1K impressions, it could be interpreted as "no data available"

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Bram K,

There is a targeting setting now for Display called "Targeting optimization" which is enabled by default when you create an ad group. This setting allows the system to find new placements outside your targeting so some clicks may have matched your targeting , and other clicks may have been a result of this "Targeting optimization".

My diagnosis question is : when you look at the sub-tab "Display Keywords" at the bottom totals how many clicks do you see for "Total - eligible keywords" and how many clicks for "Total - Display Network" . If there is a difference here , it is because some clicks did not match your keywords.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

@Moshe; Okay, thanks for you answer.

@Adrian B; Thank you for your reply. I did never use target optimization in this campaign, but I now see it's already a standard setting, I did not know that.

Total eligible keywords: 342,593 45,640,595
Total display network: 395,300 55,462,033

Is this difference explainable by targeting optimization conservative?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

There could be 2 situations depending on the level at which you are getting those statistics .

1) If you are looking at a single ad group statistics, and that ad group has been using keywords as targeting from the start of the analyzed time-frame, keywords "Your keywords are always used to target your ads. " .

So at the ad group level , those 53.000 clicks that are not from keywords targeting, could be the "conservative targeting" option.

Hopefully all things are constant in that ad group and keywords were always active as targeting. If you paused all the keywords in that ad group for a couple of days, the system could have used the remaining targeting methods to match the ads.

2) If you are looking at a Display Network Campaign level, for statistics for all ad groups, from the "Display Keywords" tab you will get statistics for all ad groups, even those that do not use keywords as targeting.

So in this case those 53.000 clicks that are not from keywords targeting could be from one or more ad groups that do not use keywords as targeting.

-------------

To get a 3rd opinion from people who can take a look directly in your account I would suggest using the convenient feature of Chat support found here on the contact page :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/8206?hl=en&hlrm=en