4.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Placements Diagnosis

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

I've been noticing these messages that I have gotten on some of my placements but don't know what it really means and can't find solid information about this anywhere, so hopefully I can get some answers and help someone else in the process. 

The 2 placement diagnosis messages that I have been getting lately. 

1. You don't have enough Google AdSense pageviews yet to diagnose the combination of your current campaign settings and targeting criteria.

• Not really sure how the pageviews thing works in this situation so this doesn't really make much sense to me.

2. Your ad isn't showing because it lost in the auction to ads with more competitive bids.

• Seems pretty clear except for one thing, my bids are relatively high enough that it's nearly tripling the avg cpc so I don't really understand why it would lose if I have a max bid of say $15 but the avg cpc has been around $2.45. So that right there tells me that the next person below me probably bid at that price or something. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Sometimes I wish that it had similar metric columns as keywords have when concerning about bidding below too low or too high. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Placements Diagnosis

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Jenna,

Thanks for posting to the Community! Quick clarifying question: had you been getting impressions on any of these placements previously?

For the first message, this may mean that the website is not showing your ads, so it has not entered into any auctions and does not have further diagnostics to report back. You can make sure that you are bidding competitively (which you mentioned) and that you have both image ads in a variety of sizes, as well as text ads to maximize potential placements. See here and here for similar questions.

For the second, these placements are likely highly competitive, and take a high bid to show your ad, even if the actual CPC is lower. Again, you can make sure you have a variety of ad sizes and types to maximize the number of placements on a site you are eligible for. But if a site only has a couple ad spots, for example, and a large amount of traffic, it will be difficult. You may also try using the Display Planner (under Tools) to get estimates.

Hope this helps!
Cassie

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Cassie,

Thank you for your response and the links to additional threads. I have most of the popular ad sizes, It has been receiving impressions but it has been stopped. I had that happen to a couple of my placements and I didn't know what it meant or why.

So what are the other possible reasons besides not having enough of high bid and ad sizes that could prevent the ads from showing up on that placement site?

Jenna

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Jenna,

In addition to the other issues, the website may have decided to stop showing ads, or may have blocked ads from your site (see first thread linked above). AdSense users , but there's no way for us to know for sure.

Cassie

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
I appreciate that. I just discovered something interesting regarding to those placements with issues. I used the Display Planner tool and try to see what ad sizes they accepted, and 3 out of 5 placements that I checked, aren't accepting any ad sizes. Do you think that means that that placement/website has decided to stop showing ads or being part of the Google Partners site?

Jenna

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
I contacted Google AdWords Support to discover more about this and still not quite satisfied with my findings yet. There is at least one or 2 more questions that needs to be answered before I can confirm the issue and solution for it.

My latest findings were that even though I've increased my bidding, checked that I had right ad sizes and had no other targeting conflict. I've learned that even if I manage a placement that is not getting any attention but I know that we are not blocked by the site because they show up in my remarketing campaign as automatic placement. So I still don't know why it's not getting attention as my managed placement.

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager

Hi Jenna,

None of us here in the Community have access to your account or the accounts of AdSense publishers, so there's no way for us to know for sure why some of you r ads show on a particular publisher's site, and others don't. AdSense users have a huge amount of control over the ads they choose to show on their sites, so it is really up to individual users.

I recommend looking over the AdSense help center to familiarize yourself with all the options, but you'll see that site owners can choose to approve or deny individual ads from appearing on their sites, as well as domains, categories, networks, etc.

Cassie