AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Placement targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I have a question regarding to my placement campaigns. Two weeks ago I stopped running (or only as discovery for new placements) my campaigns who were using keyword and/or topic targeting. 

I took at all my best placements and created a new campaign with those expecting it would improve my results. Well it did partially, but not my most important KPI.

My average CPC decreased, my CTR increased (with almost 30%!), but my CPL increased and my conversion rate plummet with more than 50%. All other factors stayed the same (banners/landing pages/bids). Since the CPL is my most important I think I can safely say my experiment failed, but I still believe managed placements should win over keyword/topic targeting, plus I can't explain myself why my conversion rate plummet like this. 

My own conclusion is that I reach an audience who is more likely to click, but yet converts a lot less.I do however still get my traffic through most of the same placements and I don't believe this is the right (or complete) explanation. 

I was wondering if somebody is familiar with the situation or can explain what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Bram 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Placement targeting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Many factors affect the performance of different targeting methods on display.

I don't think that you did something wrong, it's just that different targeting method target different audiences;...

Why wouldn't you try both placements and keywords?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Moshe,

Thank you for your reply.

The reason I haven’t tried placements and keywords is that we target a lot of small specific sites and I was afraid I would narrow my reach. It was next on my list to try it this way, but I was curious if anyone had any insights, because even though I’m reaching a (slightly) different audiences the change in the KPI’s didn’t make that much sense to me.

Thanks again for the tip and I will post if adding keywords indeed solved my problem.

Kind regards,
Bram

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Bram D;

My favorite is always to use keywords + additional targeting method.
Run some tests and keep us posted on the results.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’