Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Placement targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I have a question regarding to my placement campaigns. Two weeks ago I stopped running (or only as discovery for new placements) my campaigns who were using keyword and/or topic targeting. 

I took at all my best placements and created a new campaign with those expecting it would improve my results. Well it did partially, but not my most important KPI.

My average CPC decreased, my CTR increased (with almost 30%!), but my CPL increased and my conversion rate plummet with more than 50%. All other factors stayed the same (banners/landing pages/bids). Since the CPL is my most important I think I can safely say my experiment failed, but I still believe managed placements should win over keyword/topic targeting, plus I can't explain myself why my conversion rate plummet like this. 

My own conclusion is that I reach an audience who is more likely to click, but yet converts a lot less.I do however still get my traffic through most of the same placements and I don't believe this is the right (or complete) explanation. 

I was wondering if somebody is familiar with the situation or can explain what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Bram 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Placement targeting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Many factors affect the performance of different targeting methods on display.

I don't think that you did something wrong, it's just that different targeting method target different audiences;...

Why wouldn't you try both placements and keywords?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Moshe,

Thank you for your reply.

The reason I haven’t tried placements and keywords is that we target a lot of small specific sites and I was afraid I would narrow my reach. It was next on my list to try it this way, but I was curious if anyone had any insights, because even though I’m reaching a (slightly) different audiences the change in the KPI’s didn’t make that much sense to me.

Thanks again for the tip and I will post if adding keywords indeed solved my problem.

Kind regards,
Bram

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Bram D;

My favorite is always to use keywords + additional targeting method.
Run some tests and keep us posted on the results.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’