AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Placement exclusion

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Guys,

I have basic question regarding Placement exclusions report.

When I run the placement report (in the display network tab) I have discrepancy between the statistic numbers in the "top level domain" report and the URL's report.

For example:
Top level domain report:
domain.com have 1000 clicks, if I click "see more details"  in order to examine the URL's of this specific domain i'm seeing:
domain.com/eds 100 clicks
domain.com/abc 300 clicks.

The sum of the URLs clicks don't match the total sum of the top level domain.

Is anybody know the reason for that?

Thanks,

Stas

Re: Placement exclusion

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Stas,

Would you please let us know about the targeting methods you have for the campaigns you are referring to?
The results or the reports vary greatly from a Keyword Targeted Campaign to a pure Placement Targeted Campaign.

I am sharing this post where I've written about this very concern.

Thanks for posting this question, I had the same trouble few weeks earlier when I was checking the placements where the ads was served.

I could only see the top level domain in the report rather than the the complete URL of the domain. I have done extensive research and have found this in the Help Center,

1. When we have a Display keyword targeted Adgroup/Campaign, the {placement} parameter works on display campaigns to record the domain where the ad was displayed not the complete URL.
  2. When we have a Placement Targeted Adgroup/Campaign, the {placement} parameter records the matching placement targeting criteria for the website where your ad appears (widgetreviews.com/homepage.html, for example). In other words, we'll record whatever placement you decided to target, instead of the full URL of the website where your ad appears.

What I understood was may be because I only added the the top level domains of the URL where I wanted to display my ad to the list of my targeted placements and so it was not recording the complete URL.(I Thought). However, I would be waiting to hear from some one from the Insider Team on this.

Hope this helps, Please revert back should you have confusions

Prashanth Reniguntala

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adonai,

Thanks for your replay.
The campaigns that I was talking about are contextual targeted (keyword targeting), in my case I can see URL's for a specific domain, but the sum of the statistic data (clicks, imp or conversion) not always match to the sum of the top level domain. (I wrote an example in the previous post)
Isn't the top level domain suppose to contain URL's that show all the clicks (or imp) that the top level domain present?

Thanks,

Stas

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Stats,

As you've said that yours is a Display Keyword Targeted Campaign, so the placement parameter does not record the complete URl, it only records the Top Level Domain.

Check this: This I have found in the Help Centre
When we have a Display keyword targeted Adgroup/Campaign, the {placement} parameter works on display campaigns to record the domain where the ad was displayed not the complete URL.
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375447?hl=en

I had this issues long back and have found this to be pretty satisfying, as in many cases Google does not display the complete URL's in the report but Top Level Domains.

Hope this Helps.

Prashanth Reniguntala

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adonai,

I read the link that you attached, I'm not sure that it's relevant. in the article they referring to "ValueTrack" term. I not using any of the parameter that they mention in the table.

Plus when I using "ValueTrack" the data is available on GA or on my own tracking system, I want to see the data inside Adwords UI (on the Placement system report) in order to make high quality optimization within Adwords.

And like I said I can see some URL's for a specific domain but not all the statistic data that available in the top level domain (like a mentioned in the previous posts).

If somebody know the answer: why the data of the top level domain and the URL's report data not match? please do share Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
OK I rechecked the placement report (domain/URL view), and if I run the report and don't include the last 72 hours the clicks and conversions are match, BUT not the impressions!

is anybody have an idea why the imp numbers is different between the placement domain view and the placement URL view?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Stas,

It takes awhile for AdWorda to gather the data, that's why clicks don't match right away. The impressions are a different story. A URL has to hit a certain threshold before it is included in the report (I believe it used to be 100 impressions OR a click but not sure if it still is that exact number).

This actually happens on the domain tab as well. You'll notice just above the total line at the bottom, there is a row called "Other Domains", these are domains that didn't break the threshold to be included in the report.

What's happening in your particular situation is that the combined domain has enough data to be included in the report but not all of the specific URLS within that domain have generated enough data individually to be included in the detailed report.

Hope that helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Amy,

Thanks for the full answer!
So the reason I can see URL with 1 or 2 impressions is because they also have 1 click and it stand in the threshold rule?
Thanks

Stas