Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Placement and Ad Group Changes

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

How do you change the max CPMs for multiple websites across specific Ad Groups and Campaigns in the new version of the Ad Words Editor? Also, how do you exclude and include websites for specific Ad Groups (preferably multiple at a time)? Have these features been removed? If not, how do we access them?

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stephanie
September 2015

Re: Placement and Ad Group Changes

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Stephanie,

You can still set a CPM bid at the ad group level the same way you did before. Or, you can highlight multiple placements and change the CPM's all at once. To manage placements, go to the bottom left corner of the screen where you see the "Manage" menu. Click on "Keywords and Targeting" which will open up a larger menu. From there you can choose "Placements" or "Placements, Negative". This will allow you to add placements or exclusions, respectively. You can click 'Make Multiple Changes' at the top to add multiple placements at once.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Amy

AmyBishopMarketing.com

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
I found the failing requests in the server logs. Editor is certainly doing something it's not supposed to. It's as if it thinks that the same placement exists both as positive and as negative; it tries to remove the latter, and update the former (instead of adding it as new).

Try doing Get Recent Changes > More data (slower). This should refresh all account data from the server - hopefully, it'll un-confuse Editor as to which placements really exist in the account and which do not.

Normally, if you add a positive placement to an ad group that already contains a matching negative placement (or vice versa), you'll get a red error: "This placement is the same as a negative placement in this ad group", and won't be able to post this change. If you then also delete the negative placement (thus, effectively, converting negative to positive), the error disappears, and this set of changes should upload just fine (and seems to work for me). Editor 10.6 behaved the exact same way in this regard.

As to Revert: it's still available, just not as prominent. You can select Edit > Revert from the menu, or hit Ctrl+Shift+R

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Stephanie,

You can still set a CPM bid at the ad group level the same way you did before. Or, you can highlight multiple placements and change the CPM's all at once. To manage placements, go to the bottom left corner of the screen where you see the "Manage" menu. Click on "Keywords and Targeting" which will open up a larger menu. From there you can choose "Placements" or "Placements, Negative". This will allow you to add placements or exclusions, respectively. You can click 'Make Multiple Changes' at the top to add multiple placements at once.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Amy

AmyBishopMarketing.com

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your response Amy! I will try out your recommendations and post if I have any more questions.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Sounds great! Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Amy, thank you so much for your recommendations. They have seemed to work thus far quite well. Today, however, we ran into another issue with the Editor.

Specifically, for some reason, I am unable to post 172 placements and 21 negative placements to the Adwords Editor. In the old system, I would usually be able to revert the problematic placements; however, I am unable to find a way to do so. Nonetheless, every time I try to post new changes, I find “Fatal Error… DistinctError.DUPLICATE_ELEMENT @ operations[172]”.

One hypothesis I have is that the “duplicate” error is referring to the fact that I am trying to add negative placements when there are already positive placements in the system (or visa versa). In the old system, I never ran into this problem because when I added negative placements, it would remove the placements from the targeting list (or so it seemed). I have run into a few of these situations in the new system and have tried to fix them manually. It normally works, but my guess is that there are several I have not found? Please let me know if you have any comments or recommendations.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
I found the failing requests in the server logs. Editor is certainly doing something it's not supposed to. It's as if it thinks that the same placement exists both as positive and as negative; it tries to remove the latter, and update the former (instead of adding it as new).

Try doing Get Recent Changes > More data (slower). This should refresh all account data from the server - hopefully, it'll un-confuse Editor as to which placements really exist in the account and which do not.

Normally, if you add a positive placement to an ad group that already contains a matching negative placement (or vice versa), you'll get a red error: "This placement is the same as a negative placement in this ad group", and won't be able to post this change. If you then also delete the negative placement (thus, effectively, converting negative to positive), the error disappears, and this set of changes should upload just fine (and seems to work for me). Editor 10.6 behaved the exact same way in this regard.

As to Revert: it's still available, just not as prominent. You can select Edit > Revert from the menu, or hit Ctrl+Shift+R

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much! We tried out this method and it worked.