Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Placement URL question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I've been having issues over the past week and a half getting one of my campaigns to run on the Display Network. I've ran adds on this placement before (about 2 weeks ago) that were getting 100k impressions/day with these 3 placements with all the same EXACT campaign settings. However, the campaign slowly died without me touching anything. I tried everything under the sun (including calling an Ad Rep 2-3 times and talking to them in live chat) to get it running again with no help.

So I decided to try a new campaign to see if that would fix the issues. However,  I noticed the new campaign was not serving impressions either. I also noticed that when I went to Segment > Keywords / Placements, that the website URL that I want to advertise on only showed underneath 1 of my ads. (This ad was only getting a few thousand of the 100k/daily impressions). It's getting 5 impressions a day, while the other two (which were getting 95%+ of the original daily impressions) are getting 0. Those two for some reason don't have the URL display under them as seen in the picture. (PIC > http://imgur.com/PeQU02c)

Is this causing the ads to not display on the site? I have no idea how it got setup like this as I uploaded the ads all at the same time. Any ideas how to get the URL under those ads?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Placement URL question

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Adam K;

Following  the last thread om the topic, have you called support to  go over the campaign settings?

I recall that you mentioned that the targeting audience was  a few millions and you raised the bid quite substantially.

So the next step is to go through all accounts, and campaign settings. This only CS can do. They are the only ones with access to the account.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi MosheTLV,

Thanks for your response. Yes, unfortunately. Support has not been able to fix anything with the campaign, even after going through the campaign with them 2 separate times. Guess I'll give them a call and see if they can figure out why the site isn't listed below those ads.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Ok. Let's test the following. Remove placements . Add keywords (8-12 will do to create a theme to be matched with relevant Web pages). Check if you get impressions..
BTW, do you have banners in all sizes?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Adam K,

Two things come to mind on this problem.

First, something may have changed on that site restricting the size of display ads. I'd go look at the site and the pages you are targeting and see if image ads of the same sizes are showing on the site.

The other thing is your CTR history on that placement. The DN has a QS, but Google is not able to show you that as it can be different for each site where your ad is eligible to show. A low CTR as compared to competitors causes a low QS, and that, in turn, requires a higher bid for placement. Do you have a text ad also targeted at this placement as a fall back if your image ad bids are too low? That's usually recommended. You can put it in a separate AdGroup to get a better control on the CPC bid. A text ad is considered one ad unit. Image ads occupy more than one ad unit, the number of units is roughly the number of text ads the image ad would replace. Run the text ad, and keep increasing your bid until that ad gets impressions. Then calculate the number of ad units your image ads occupy and multiply the successful text ad bid by that number and adjust your bids in the image ad group.

You could also add the Relative CTR column to the AdGroups tab when viewing a campaign. Then set your date range to the time period when your ad was serving the highest number of impressions and through the date when impressions began decreasing. Make a note of the Relative CTR. If it's below 1, your CTR is low compared to competition. If it's below 0.5, you probably have a serious problem with QS. You can bump your bids to get better AdRank, or you might want to try new creatives to improve your CTR.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply.

I've checked and nothing has changed in regards to the site restricting the size of display ads. The banner sizes I were using are still active with Adwords on their website.

CTR may have something to do it with it, but even when I've changed my bid to 6 times the original bid, I still get 0 impressions, which makes me believe it's another issue. We've also tried about every other campaign setting tweak under the sun with no luck.

The Relative CTR says 1.5x.

I guess I'll call Google once again tomorrow to see if they can put me in touch with someone who may be able to pinpoint the issue.

Regards,
Adam

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Adam K;

Have you tried to test other targeting methods as I suggested to  check if you get impressions at all? That could hint  if the cause is within the targeting methods

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi MosheTLV,

I believe with confidence I have found the problem. After doing some further research I have to believe the website I was placing my ads on has stopped allowing us to advertise on it. It was just odd the way our ads slowly started to die off that confused us. I believe this because 1.) Because our website kind of competes with said website, 2.) None of our competitors or even websites that are in the same relative niche are being displayed (in adsense) on said site. Also Adwords can't confirm or deny this and because they can't figure out the issue this must be the cause.

At least now I can stop wondering what was causing it.

Thanks for your help!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Adam K;

If this were the case you would receive and messages error along the line / similar to:  "this ad group is not available for serving".

In addition, you said that there were quite a few  placements. It's unlikely that all publishers will block ads, from the same advertiser, simultaneously.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

It does say that. But it's odd, because my ad groups in my other campaigns
that have been working just fine also say that. So not sure.

Just a little fishy that no one else in my niche is advertising on that
site. They are competing against me for ads on all the other websites I
advertise on.