AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Phrase or modified broad for search query variations?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Dear AdWords community: I'm looking at a client's account (a hotel) and saw adgroups with hundreds of keywords - many of which are just simple phrase match variations; e.g., "hotel puerto madero", "hotel pto madero", "hotel puerto madero mexico", "hotel pto madero mx", etc.

What would be a better approach? to target every single search query variation with individual phrase matches? Or to use a modified broad approach and target any search query variation as long as it contains some key search terms? e.g., +hotel +madero

Thanks in advance for your helpful input!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Phrase or modified broad for search query variations?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Camilo,

I think the best way to find out would be to do a controlled test. As what might work of one person may not work quite as well for another.

Personally I like using a broad match approach with well developed negative keywords. This helps me find exactly what people are searching for. I then use the results to continue to develop my campaigns. I find that I always find search terms that I would have never though of. You can always go back to the previous method.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks, Andrew! Your approach sounds good. I will implement it and see how it goes.

Thanks for taking your time to shed some light. Smiley Happy
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Camilo,  welcome back   Smiley Happy

What I recommend is to set separate ad groups:

One with  tightly themed ad copies  for  exact match keywords (DKI is an excellent feature for this) and the other, with more "general" ad copy for BMM  keywords.

Note that in this structure the exact match keyword should be (also) added as negative keywords in the BMM ad group, so the wrong ad would not be triggered.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Good idea Moshe, thanks! And thanks for the welcome back. Smiley Happy