AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Phrase match keywords singel and plural keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello together,

We have analysed the data of our Adwords Account and created seperate campaigns for different countries. In these countries we use the same ads and keywords. This shouldn't be a problem as they are targeted on different places. We have the problem that google says "Another creative in the ad group was selected over this one". We had some double keywords, but I just optimised this. We are using phrase match as we don't want to spend money on keywords which are not relevant for our business.  However I am wondering if it makes sense to seperate the following keywords as they are very similar "best boat party ibiza" "best ibiza boat party" "best parties in ibiza".

I am also wondering if we should seperate "boat parties in ibiza" and "boat party in ibiza" / "ibiza party boat" and "ibiza party boats" or if google recognizes this as the same keyword. 

Thank you very much for an answer

Stefan 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Stefan B,

>>  the problem that google says "Another creative in the ad group was selected over this one" <<

That's in fact not a problem, just a note meant for informational purposes. It should mean to you that a particular search term keyed in by a user may occasionally match multiple keywords of yours. That's okay, when using phrase match. 

>>   they are very similar "best boat party ibiza" "best ibiza boat party" "best parties in ibiza   <<<

Separating them may make some sense in a scenario where each variant accrues a considerable amount of traffic. Some minor advantage will be attached to them when they are equal to the search term 100%. 

"ibiza party boat" and "ibiza party boats"

Google recognizes the above terms as singular and plural. They are also regarded as close variants and covered by the scope of the exact matching option. Else the above said in regard to traffic volume should be applicable.

Best,

Lakatos

Re: Phrase match keywords singel and plural keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lakatos,

thank you very much for your quick reply. Find attached my feedback.

>>  the problem that google says "Another creative in the ad group was selected over this one" <<

That's in fact not a problem, just a note meant for informational purposes. It should mean to you that a particular search term keyed in by a user may occasionally match multiple keywords of yours. That's okay, when using phrase match. 

Ok let me go deeper, we have now the case that the status of the keywords are saying, that the keyword are NOT shown. There 2 reasons. 1 is 

• Your keyword isn't triggering ads to appear on Google right now due to a low Ad Rank. Ads are ranked based on your bid and Quality Score. What can I do
  • Another creative in the ad group was selected over this one.

But we have minimum quality score of 7/10 saying the following: 

However Google recommend us to increase the budget and I did it. Does it need some time or is it related to this issue ? 

>>   they are very similar "best boat party ibiza" "best ibiza boat party" "best parties in ibiza   <<<

Separating them may make some sense in a scenario where each variant accrues a considerable amount of traffic. Some minor advantage will be attached to them when they are equal to the search term 100%. 

--> I don't think that the different variations create a lot of different traffic. However I just want to make sure that our ads will be shown for all the keywords. So if we use phrase match we have to define them as separate keywords right ? 

"ibiza party boat" and "ibiza party boats"

Google recognizes the above terms as singular and plural. They are also regarded as close variants and covered by the scope of the exact matching option. Else the above said in regard to traffic volume should be applicable.

--> What do you mean with covered by the scope of the exact matching option ? Do we need to separate these keywords "ibiza party boat" and "ibiza party boats" or can we just use one ? 

Thank you very much 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Stefan B,

>>>...Another creative in the ad group was selected over this one...<<<

In cases when that particular keyword does not show, another one will. Your performance will not be impacted.

>>>   Google recommend us to increase the budget   <<<

I would not do that unless it is justified by former stats and I have my own reason.

>>>   I don't think that the different variations create a lot of different traffic.   <<<

Neither me. The average ad position may occasionally improve a little bit, however.

>>> Do we need to separate these keywords "ibiza party boat" and "ibiza party boats" or can we just use one ? <<<

No, you don't. One is okay. Even exact match will include both of them. However, you may want to do so in order to get some of the a/m advantage .

Best,

Lakatos

Re: Phrase match keywords singel and plural keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Lakatos thank you very much for your responses. Already helpful. But I have still some questions.

In cases when that particular keyword does not show, another one will. Your performance will not be impacted.

--> Ok. I checked and I can see that only 2 of around 10 keywords show our ads. Does Google automatically decides which of the keywords get the most traffic and show our ads only for these keywords ? If this is the case this shouldn't be like this as we want to show the ads for all of our keywords. What could we do to show the ads for the other keywords also ?

-->Some other keywords "Ibiza Parties" show a high quality score but google says they are not showing ads. Reason: We're only showing your ad occasionally because of your budget. Do we have to increase the budget per day then ? 

We are a boat party but we also want to appear for ibiza party. Does it make sense to create a new ad group with better fitting ads to ibiza parties ? 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Stefan B,

>>>   What could we do to show the ads for the other keywords also ?   <<<

Sounds like chasing a shadow. In fact you do not show ads for your keywords, you show ads for the search terms keyed in by users. Your keywords in the interface keyword table is where your stats are collected and displayed to you and also where you control bids.  -  When Google chooses the keyword that will participate in the simulated auction, its history is an important factor. That's why it's often only one or two even when you have listed multiple similar variants. Maybe it's not what you'd like but that's how it works.

>>>   Do we have to increase the budget per day then ?   <<<

You do not have obligations. I, for one, would not raise the budget just because I see a note.

>>>  Does it make sense to create a new ad group with better fitting ads to ibiza parties ?   <<<

Yes, it does. A different ad group for a different kind of service is a good idea and a best practice. 

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Lakatos

Sounds like chasing a shadow. In fact you do not show ads for your keywords, you show ads for the search terms keyed in by users. Your keywords in the interface keyword table is where your stats are collected and displayed to you and also where you control bids.  -  When Google chooses the keyword that will participate in the simulated auction, its history is an important factor. That's why it's often only one or two even when you have listed multiple similar variants. Maybe it's not what you'd like but that's how it works.

-->now its getting complicated :-)

Can I write an example down if understand you right. 

E.g Keywords: "boat party ibiza", "ibiza party boats"

e.g.1 User types in: ticket boat party ibiza 

--> Google chooses boat party ibiza and shows ad 

e.g.2 User type in: Looking for ibiza party boats

--> now it could be that google doesn't show our ad because of historic reasons ?

Thank you 

Stefan 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Stefan B,

In your 2nd example the search term ibiza party boats exactly matches the phrase match keyword "ibiza party boats" that you listed a few lines above. Therefore I'd say if the bid is high enough, the ad will be shown almost for sure unless very extreme historical data were accrued before. (It will not be displayed, if it was shown say 3k times for this keyword of yours and nobody clicked on it.) 

Best,

Lakatos