AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Phrase VS Exact concordance: effect on CPC

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

I am wondering how much it is worth to pay attention to concordance for a specific case. Let me give you the example:

You are a piano teacher, and you know that the people that come to your web via adwords they search most of times with the KWs "piano classes". 

My question is: Would it make a difference on my QS and therefore on the CPC having my keyword be "piano classes" VS having [piano classes] or would both concordances be the same and make no difference on my result?

Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arturo P
July 2016

Re: Phrase VS Exact concordance: effect on CPC

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Arturo,

My understanding is you are interested in the impact of KW matching types on your CPC and QS values. Specifically your focus is on exact and phrase matches.

*** About keyword matching options ***
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

In a nutshell: there might be a huge difference occasionally, mostly dependent on your niche and geo. Worth proper consideration.

However, when we start advertising a new service we typically do not have prior knowledge of which matching type will work out for our purposes. Therefore you may want to list both matching types as keywords and see the difference as you are accruing stats for them. (I usually list 3 matching types at the beginning: broad, phrase and exact.)

If you have already accrued some keyword stats you may want to segment it by clicking on the Keywords tab, then finding the Segment drop-down and finally selecting the "Search terms match type" menu item.

Best,
Lakatos

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arturo P
July 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Arturo,

My understanding is you are interested in the impact of KW matching types on your CPC and QS values. Specifically your focus is on exact and phrase matches.

*** About keyword matching options ***
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

In a nutshell: there might be a huge difference occasionally, mostly dependent on your niche and geo. Worth proper consideration.

However, when we start advertising a new service we typically do not have prior knowledge of which matching type will work out for our purposes. Therefore you may want to list both matching types as keywords and see the difference as you are accruing stats for them. (I usually list 3 matching types at the beginning: broad, phrase and exact.)

If you have already accrued some keyword stats you may want to segment it by clicking on the Keywords tab, then finding the Segment drop-down and finally selecting the "Search terms match type" menu item.

Best,
Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Arturo,

The match type you choose will have no effect on QS. So, as long as the search query was always "piano classes", it wouldn't matter if the keyword you use was exact, phrase, broad or BMM.

Of course in reality, if you use phrase match there will be queries that are not just "piano classes". Someone might search for "free piano classes on YouTube", not click on your ad, and cause your CTR to be slightly lower. This can affect your QS.

Choose match types that will show your ads to the people you want to see them.

Improve quality score by the keywords you choose, the ad copy and the landing page experience.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Yup, at a given moment in time, the QS of different match types of the same KW share the same value. That's inherent in how the AdWords system has been built. - Which one of the matching options you select for long term use may have an impact on the CTR values and finally the CPA value as well.