AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Phrase Match Variation vs Broad Match Modifier

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having trouble understanding the benefits when comparing broad match modifier with phrase match. The most important thing for me with the keywords is obviously to achieve the highest keyword quality score and highest CTR on the ads.

1) Does AdWords consider it better to manually create multiple variations of the same keyword in phrase match type compared to one version in broad match type? Taking that even further - is there a further significant improvement when changing from phrase to exact match?
2) Lets say I have the keyword "black shoes" in phrase match type. If someone was searching using the keyword "large black shoes", my ad should still appear (whereas it wouldn't in exact match), is that correct? But if a second person was searching using the keyword "black shoes", would my ad placement be higher than my ad placement under the search "large black shoes" due to fact that the second person's keyword was identical to the original keyword I had in phrase match type? If so, is it worth adding both sets of keyword in my campaign in phrase match type?
Thanks!
1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Phrase Match Variation vs Broad Match Modifier

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Oren H

Great Question.

First I want you to watch this video from Google that just came out to explain the Adwords Auction, bid prices and quality scores:
Insight into the Adwords Auction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjOHTFRaBWA

Keyword Match types are important, but with each initial instance of keyword Adwords will provide a Quality score based upon historical data for that keyword as well as historical quality score parameters of your account ( if there is any).

With that being said, there is no true answer to say match type A vs Match type B is going to work better for your Adgroup or campaigns because Landing Pages, Ad Copy and keyword choices will all be a factor. Having tight adgroups where the landing pages, ad copy and keywords are all in sync and aligned are part of optimization and Quality Score factors.

Your ROI and data will determine which match type is best for your conversions. You sculpt a campaign or adgroup with negative keyword to remove potential irrelevant search queries.

Some will tell you that Broad match Modifier ( along with great negative keywords) will be the best set up. Some will say exact Match will be in your best interest. But it will all come down to the way you set up your account, what your CPC's are, what your CTR, How you craft your Ad, and how relevant your landing page is. So the answer truly is to TEST and let the data determine what is in your best interest.

I have accounts in niches where only Exact Match provides an ROI. I have accounts in different niches where I have Phrase Match and Broad match modifiers with great negative keyword list, Bring in the best ROI ( exact match is so narrow, it gets very low impressions)

Therefor each account, setup, Ad, landing page Bid, Location, CPC, CTR, and competition is going to be different.

So lets look at your exact questions:

Does AdWords consider it better to manually create multiple variations of the same keyword in phrase match type compared to one version in broad match type? -- TEST it., there is no right or wrong answer here.

taking that even further - is there a further significant improvement when changing from phrase to exact match? -- Yes there can be in some instances, where you can see a jump in QS, but could also see a large drop in impressions and clicks.

Lets say I have the keyword "black shoes" in phrase match type. If someone was searching using the keyword "large black shoes", my ad should still appear (whereas it wouldn't in exact match), is that correct? YES THAT IS CORRECT

But if a second person was searching using the keyword "black shoes", would my ad placement be higher than my ad placement under the search "large black shoes" due to fact that the second person's keyword was identical to the original keyword I had in phrase match type? - THIS WILL BE DETERMINED BY QUALITY SCORE, CTR, BID PRICE, COMPETITION as well as if there are other keyword competing closely for that term as well- so there is no true answer to say YES OR NO

If so, is it worth adding both sets of keyword in my campaign in phrase match type?
I would say test various match type for a few days, or X amount of clicks and let the ROI / Conversion data be your guide into what is the best course of action to take in your account.

Sorry for being long winded, but there are so many factors in play I wanted to be as through as possible and give you a better understanding of HOW it all works..

Eric G

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Oren H
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Oren,

While Exact Match can take in plurals.  I personally add the Plural versions (or Singular), because I can capture them at an even lower Bid price then I bid on the original as well as change the default setting to NOT Include close variants.  Those are my personal preferences of how I sculpt my accounts.  I want to control what the query I capture as much as possible and leave the "By Chance" out of the equation as much as possible.  

( Also I like have more 10/10 quality scores in the Ad Group - probably doesn't help in overall hidden account quality score - but I don't think it is considered detrimental in mu opinion or have not seen it to cause me a problem)

Remember, Earlier I stated there are many ways to create the account to suit the best interest of your products and services.  I have found in my verticals, it leads to a more manageable ROI. 

But also every account is different.  Remember I also stated I have client accounts that only Broad Match brings in enough conversion, while others exact match and Ad Rank 1 is the only profitable course of action. Each account is going to be different because of competition and the Guy you are competing with.

On some large budget accounts I am very aggressive and Bid 5X's what I eventually have to pay for the click, and automate bid changes, and vary bid adjustments for different times of the day and days of the week.  I manage accounts proactively and keep my competition and automated tools guessing.  I make my competition play my game.  I knock out other peoples budgets by 10 AM, and reap the rest of the day for clicks so Low it hilarious. 

My advice to you is TEST your vertical/ Niche.  With adwords you should be able to see the trend, find the sweet spots very very quickly when you analyze your data. Be proactive, and diligent.  With less then 25 clicks, or a full weeks worth of data you should be able to make assumptions.  TEST those assumptions and act upon what the data tells you.

At the end of the day there is no wrong way, just the most efficient way they brings your Conversions / SALES and ROI.

Add Extensions:  ALWAYS utilize Ad Extensions, there is not extra cost,  It's the same as your normal PPC click cost. One click cost regardless if the click was was on the headline link or the sitelinks etc.,

Ad Extensions are considered in determining Ad Rank these days, as well as can improve Click Thru based upon displaying more AD real estate in the search result.

Last word.  TEST. TEST.  TEST.  Without knowing your competition, offer, budget, account history, landing pages, overall conversion rate, Ads, and Unique Selling Proposition this is just ideas that could be completely opposite to what is in the best interest of your ROI / Sales.

Good Luck

Eric Gehler G+

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Oren H

Great Question.

First I want you to watch this video from Google that just came out to explain the Adwords Auction, bid prices and quality scores:
Insight into the Adwords Auction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjOHTFRaBWA

Keyword Match types are important, but with each initial instance of keyword Adwords will provide a Quality score based upon historical data for that keyword as well as historical quality score parameters of your account ( if there is any).

With that being said, there is no true answer to say match type A vs Match type B is going to work better for your Adgroup or campaigns because Landing Pages, Ad Copy and keyword choices will all be a factor. Having tight adgroups where the landing pages, ad copy and keywords are all in sync and aligned are part of optimization and Quality Score factors.

Your ROI and data will determine which match type is best for your conversions. You sculpt a campaign or adgroup with negative keyword to remove potential irrelevant search queries.

Some will tell you that Broad match Modifier ( along with great negative keywords) will be the best set up. Some will say exact Match will be in your best interest. But it will all come down to the way you set up your account, what your CPC's are, what your CTR, How you craft your Ad, and how relevant your landing page is. So the answer truly is to TEST and let the data determine what is in your best interest.

I have accounts in niches where only Exact Match provides an ROI. I have accounts in different niches where I have Phrase Match and Broad match modifiers with great negative keyword list, Bring in the best ROI ( exact match is so narrow, it gets very low impressions)

Therefor each account, setup, Ad, landing page Bid, Location, CPC, CTR, and competition is going to be different.

So lets look at your exact questions:

Does AdWords consider it better to manually create multiple variations of the same keyword in phrase match type compared to one version in broad match type? -- TEST it., there is no right or wrong answer here.

taking that even further - is there a further significant improvement when changing from phrase to exact match? -- Yes there can be in some instances, where you can see a jump in QS, but could also see a large drop in impressions and clicks.

Lets say I have the keyword "black shoes" in phrase match type. If someone was searching using the keyword "large black shoes", my ad should still appear (whereas it wouldn't in exact match), is that correct? YES THAT IS CORRECT

But if a second person was searching using the keyword "black shoes", would my ad placement be higher than my ad placement under the search "large black shoes" due to fact that the second person's keyword was identical to the original keyword I had in phrase match type? - THIS WILL BE DETERMINED BY QUALITY SCORE, CTR, BID PRICE, COMPETITION as well as if there are other keyword competing closely for that term as well- so there is no true answer to say YES OR NO

If so, is it worth adding both sets of keyword in my campaign in phrase match type?
I would say test various match type for a few days, or X amount of clicks and let the ROI / Conversion data be your guide into what is the best course of action to take in your account.

Sorry for being long winded, but there are so many factors in play I wanted to be as through as possible and give you a better understanding of HOW it all works..

Eric G

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Eric,

I understand, thanks very much for your very elaborate email, it is much appreciated! The video was also very helpful.

I have one more follow-up question: lets say I create a list of 1,000 keywords - every keyword variation I could thinks of for a service we provide. I then split them into very specific Ad Groups (lets says 25) with very specific ads. Would a good strategy be to use exact match type for ALL of these keywords, so that each group of exact keywords are grouped together in their own Ad Group based on similarities, and then create lets say 5 more Ad Groups that are all Broad Match Modifier based for the more general keywords? On top of that, for the broad match modifier Ad Groups, I would include the entire list of exact keywords as negative words so that I wouldn't be competing against myself for the same keywords. How does that strategy sound?

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
The set up you describe could work,

The main thing is each keyword in the Adgroup should very tightly match the Ad itself, as well as a relevant landing page. That is the foundation of optimizing your account. You may find that some exact match keyword give great results, where as others are too narrow and never come into play.

Personally I like to keep all keywords (and match types) into there respective TIGHT adgroups that match my AD and landing page. I may have a keyword group that only has One true keyword ( plus plurals) and additional match types so things are very tight and organized for best bid options, use of extensions, and tracking.

For Example:
Blue Widget Ad Group
Keywords: with corresponding match types

[Blue Widgets] - exact match
[Blue Widget]
[Widgets Blue] - if the reverse exact match makes sense
[Widget Blue]
+Blue +Widgets - Bid Modifiers
+Blue +Widget

But Oren, there are several way to reach results. Your Strategy can be effective, depending upon all the other factors involved, competition, Ad rank, Ad copy, Bids etc etc etc.

The main thing is to Make different versions of Ads to continually test. Work your landing pages as well. Keep up with Negative keywords from the Matched Search Query Reports ( also in analytics) and be diligence in reviewing your data and results.

There will be times when Exact Match is perfect, there will be times when Broad Match Modifiers and Phrase match might be better. Your results, CTR, QS Ad Rank, Ad Copy and end of the day Conversions and ROI will determine what works best in your niche category/ Website.

Never stop TESTING and keep up with the data, and negative keywords.

Thanks
Eric G.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much Eric!

I just have a question regarding the example with "Blue Widgets" above: I thought that it takes plurals into account for Exact Match and Broad Match Modifier? (see article below)
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

If that is the case, is there still a benefit in creating multiple keywords for plurals? I am just wondering if AdWords considers it detrimental to include variants in the same AdGroup since they are competing between themselves, or whether it is beneficial because it can allow for an identical match.

Lastly, how do you feel about including ad extensions in ads, so that they link to individual webpages on the website? I'm assuming that it costs more to includes these in the ads, but on the other hand it could increase the ad quality score, which reduces the cost per click, so perhaps the costs and savings cancel each other out?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Oren H
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Oren,

While Exact Match can take in plurals.  I personally add the Plural versions (or Singular), because I can capture them at an even lower Bid price then I bid on the original as well as change the default setting to NOT Include close variants.  Those are my personal preferences of how I sculpt my accounts.  I want to control what the query I capture as much as possible and leave the "By Chance" out of the equation as much as possible.  

( Also I like have more 10/10 quality scores in the Ad Group - probably doesn't help in overall hidden account quality score - but I don't think it is considered detrimental in mu opinion or have not seen it to cause me a problem)

Remember, Earlier I stated there are many ways to create the account to suit the best interest of your products and services.  I have found in my verticals, it leads to a more manageable ROI. 

But also every account is different.  Remember I also stated I have client accounts that only Broad Match brings in enough conversion, while others exact match and Ad Rank 1 is the only profitable course of action. Each account is going to be different because of competition and the Guy you are competing with.

On some large budget accounts I am very aggressive and Bid 5X's what I eventually have to pay for the click, and automate bid changes, and vary bid adjustments for different times of the day and days of the week.  I manage accounts proactively and keep my competition and automated tools guessing.  I make my competition play my game.  I knock out other peoples budgets by 10 AM, and reap the rest of the day for clicks so Low it hilarious. 

My advice to you is TEST your vertical/ Niche.  With adwords you should be able to see the trend, find the sweet spots very very quickly when you analyze your data. Be proactive, and diligent.  With less then 25 clicks, or a full weeks worth of data you should be able to make assumptions.  TEST those assumptions and act upon what the data tells you.

At the end of the day there is no wrong way, just the most efficient way they brings your Conversions / SALES and ROI.

Add Extensions:  ALWAYS utilize Ad Extensions, there is not extra cost,  It's the same as your normal PPC click cost. One click cost regardless if the click was was on the headline link or the sitelinks etc.,

Ad Extensions are considered in determining Ad Rank these days, as well as can improve Click Thru based upon displaying more AD real estate in the search result.

Last word.  TEST. TEST.  TEST.  Without knowing your competition, offer, budget, account history, landing pages, overall conversion rate, Ads, and Unique Selling Proposition this is just ideas that could be completely opposite to what is in the best interest of your ROI / Sales.

Good Luck

Eric Gehler G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Eric - I'm back Smiley Embarassed)

Thanks again for your most recent feedback. After reading it, I went and created variations of the 1,000 keywords that I mentioned I planned to use as exact match. It took me some time, but after creating all the variations it doubled my total keyword list to 2,000 - does that sounds excessive, especially for a campaign local to Northern California (for now)?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It's been around a year long since this topic is created. 2000 keywords is such a wow work Oren. I respect your dedication toward quality deliverable.

Regards,

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Community Manager
# 10
Community Manager
This 2014 thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.