AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Phrase Match Type Negatives

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Does a phrase match negative keyword cancel out a positive exact match or broad match modified keyword when that positive keyword is only 1 token (i.e. one word)?

Let's say I have an ad group with the keyword [Table] on exact match.  The only traffic I wish to direct to this ad group is exact search queries for the keyword [Table].  Therefore if I place the keyword "Table" as a phrase match negative against the exact match keyword will this cancel my exact variation?

How do phrase match keywords work with broad match modifier? If I have a keyword that is only one word will putting the same keyword as phrase match negative cancel out searches for the broad match modified 1 token keyword?  E.g. +table is my positive keyword and I have the keyword "table" as a negative.  Will this stop the broad match modified keyword from showing up in search results and the only situation the broad match modified keyword will show is when there is a misspelling/plural?

Thanks,

Hayley

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Phrase Match Type Negatives

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Hayley,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

Considering the first part of your question, all you need to do is to enter the keyword [table] as exact match type and change the campaign settings under keyword matching options to "do not include close variants". You don't have to include any negative keyword here because the precedence level of exact match is highest. Then comes phrase, then broad modifier and in the last broad match type.

For addressing the 2nd part, I would encourage you to read this excellent article which explains in depth how search terms are matched with similar keywords.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

In addition of Pankaj suggestion i would like you to visit very nice article written by Neha : https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Negative-Keywords-As-Important-as-Positive-Keywor...

Hope it will help You!

Thanks
Anchal

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Hayley,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

Considering the first part of your question, all you need to do is to enter the keyword [table] as exact match type and change the campaign settings under keyword matching options to "do not include close variants". You don't have to include any negative keyword here because the precedence level of exact match is highest. Then comes phrase, then broad modifier and in the last broad match type.

For addressing the 2nd part, I would encourage you to read this excellent article which explains in depth how search terms are matched with similar keywords.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

In addition of Pankaj suggestion i would like you to visit very nice article written by Neha : https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Negative-Keywords-As-Important-as-Positive-Keywor...

Hope it will help You!

Thanks
Anchal