3.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Phrase Match Redudancy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello community.  Recently initialized a campaign for a fairly specific service.  In your opinions, is it necessary to list keyword modifiers as part of the keyword set?  For example:

Keyword is "home cleaning service".  Is it absolutey necessary (or beneficial) to list "home cleaning service company", "home cleaning service agency", etc. when the phrase match modifier will automatically pick up on those?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Phrase Match Redudancy

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi David, and welcome to the Community

It's not necessary but it can be a good idea since it'll allow you to get a better idea of performance data for these more specific terms.  In the long run you may want to make then [exact] matches and have them in an Ad Group of their own so you can use Dynamic Keyword Insertion to make more relevant Ads, etc.

What most advertisers will do is run just the simple phrase (or even simpler modified broad match) for a while then examine the Seach Query Report which will then let you see the most common search terms that triggered clicks on your Ads.  If you see examples such as those you've quoted you can add them into the Group.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello David

No you shouldn't need to all all those keywords. "home cleaning service" should pick up the other kewyords.  You can read more about keyword matching here

support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

As Jon said, not necessary but can be a good idea. It depends. Would having those longer tailed keywords be beneficial?

Here's the way I think about these sort of things:

First, a new campaign sticks to the basic keywords. This because I really don't know anything yet, I have no data. Sure, I could right off the bat create hundreds or even thousands of variations on the keyword.

Then, I check the data to see if I should expand the keyword. For example, does a high percentage of people search on "home cleaning service company"? If so, it may be beneficial to use that as a keyword. I may even want it in its own group with different ads. But the variation using "agency", I may find that there is so few searches, it just is not worth it.

I've seen client accounts where they went crazy with all kinds of keyword variation such as "red widget" and "square widget". Problem was, nobody was searching on those. You don't need to add every single adjective to the main word. Ask yourself if people search that way and if it's even necessary. Adding every single color to your widget keyword, probably not.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi David,

I'm with Jon and Lucid_Marketing on this one. JeremyL is correct, to a point. You don't need all of the variations, but he leaves out the part that they may be useful to include.

You'll have to look at the data to figure that out. Let's say your keyword is home cleaning service. Certainly queries of "home cleaning service company" and "home cleaning service agency" and "home cleaning service agencies" could trigger your broad match keyword or your phrase match keyword home cleaning service. But you could find out that most people looking for "home cleaning service agency" are actually looking for employment rather than having their home cleaned, but some do wnat house cleaning. In that case, you would want to bid less on "home cleaning service agency" than on "home cleaning service". You may find the query "home cleaning service agencies" are people who actually want their house cleaned (a higher conversion rate). In that case, you would want to bid more on that phrase (or exact).

You could create your ad group or campaign with just the broad match keyword home cleaning service, but that won't necessarily get you the best results. It's not all that much effort to add other match-types or other keywords. Taking short cuts to set up your campaign is not always the best strategy.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords