Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Phrase/Exact duplicates.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I was wondering whether or not this is a duplicate?

"blue bike"
"bike blue"

Since its phrase, it should count as two different search terms? Adwords editor lists them as duplicates, but the more i try to find a solution on different forums, the more in doubt I get.

The same goes for exact:

[blue bike]

[bike blue]

Hope you can help me out and thanks in advance.

Best regards

Anders

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anders A
September 2015

Re: Phrase/Exact duplicates.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Anders A, Welcome to the Community

My guess is that you have selected a non-default setting in the duplicates window, more specifically "word order -==> second setting, Any word order " like in the picture bellow.

This would make the AdWords Editor report those keywords as duplicates , while they are not normaly duplicates.

Your phrase and exact match keywords are not duplicates. A duplicate means a different keyword that can get triggered by the same search term. In your case both pairs of keywords cannot be triggered by the same search term. 

adwords-editor-word-order.png

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anders A
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Anders A, Welcome to the Community

My guess is that you have selected a non-default setting in the duplicates window, more specifically "word order -==> second setting, Any word order " like in the picture bellow.

This would make the AdWords Editor report those keywords as duplicates , while they are not normaly duplicates.

Your phrase and exact match keywords are not duplicates. A duplicate means a different keyword that can get triggered by the same search term. In your case both pairs of keywords cannot be triggered by the same search term. 

adwords-editor-word-order.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adrian B

Thanks for your fast reply.

I guess that the function is only usable for broad keywords then?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes for broads it can be useful in finding duplicates, although AdWords editor doesn't differentiate between +blue +shoes and blue shoes, the BMM and the simple broad, so a manual check on the duplicates is required. Do not remove 100 suggested duplicates in a click before checking their different performances Smiley Happy

For this I suggest downloading the statistics also, it is a different type of data not downloaded by default, yet it is  described here :

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/30538?hl=en