AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Phrase/Exact duplicates.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I was wondering whether or not this is a duplicate?

"blue bike"
"bike blue"

Since its phrase, it should count as two different search terms? Adwords editor lists them as duplicates, but the more i try to find a solution on different forums, the more in doubt I get.

The same goes for exact:

[blue bike]

[bike blue]

Hope you can help me out and thanks in advance.

Best regards

Anders

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anders A
September 2015

Re: Phrase/Exact duplicates.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Anders A, Welcome to the Community

My guess is that you have selected a non-default setting in the duplicates window, more specifically "word order -==> second setting, Any word order " like in the picture bellow.

This would make the AdWords Editor report those keywords as duplicates , while they are not normaly duplicates.

Your phrase and exact match keywords are not duplicates. A duplicate means a different keyword that can get triggered by the same search term. In your case both pairs of keywords cannot be triggered by the same search term. 

adwords-editor-word-order.png

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anders A
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Anders A, Welcome to the Community

My guess is that you have selected a non-default setting in the duplicates window, more specifically "word order -==> second setting, Any word order " like in the picture bellow.

This would make the AdWords Editor report those keywords as duplicates , while they are not normaly duplicates.

Your phrase and exact match keywords are not duplicates. A duplicate means a different keyword that can get triggered by the same search term. In your case both pairs of keywords cannot be triggered by the same search term. 

adwords-editor-word-order.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adrian B

Thanks for your fast reply.

I guess that the function is only usable for broad keywords then?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes for broads it can be useful in finding duplicates, although AdWords editor doesn't differentiate between +blue +shoes and blue shoes, the BMM and the simple broad, so a manual check on the duplicates is required. Do not remove 100 suggested duplicates in a click before checking their different performances Smiley Happy

For this I suggest downloading the statistics also, it is a different type of data not downloaded by default, yet it is  described here :

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/30538?hl=en