AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

'Photography' or 'Photographer'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I'm a commercial photographer using adwords for my business, a problem many of us professional photographers face is discouraging people from clicking on our ads who are only browsing for photographs, not in the market for a photographer, and the subtle difference between these two keywords is a big issue so I wondered what any other photographers thought about it.

Basically I would expect that anyone typing 'photographer' into a search is looking to hire a photographer.

But I'm not so sure about 'photography', people will definitely be typing it in who are just looking for photographs but many people who are looking for a photography might use the word photography, for example 'commercial photography in Cumbria' or 'photography business in Cumbria'.

So how do you approach this. Do you not bother to put photography as a keyword, or do you perhaps go even further and exclude it. I'd be interested to hear people's opinions.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: 'Photography' or 'Photographer'

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

After reading your comments, one quick tip i want to give you is that check how transparent and well written are your ad texts. What message your ads texts are giving to users, Are they clearly describe what your services are and what your are offering to them. A well written ad text help you to aviod all those clicks which are irrelevant (If people think what you are offering are not of their interest, they will not click on your ads).

I don't think photography or photographer keywords can make big differnece, you can use both of these keywords. I'll suggest you to check the Search terms reports of your keywords and use the Negative Keywords in phrase and exact match. For example, you can use Free photography tips, photography articles, photography software etc. as negative keywords in phrase and exact match. Negative keywords prevent to show your ads for those keywords which you think are not useful for you.

Hope this will help,

Dinesh
My Blog

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

To be able to give a good answer to your question I´d like to what kind of business you wanna promote. Is it:

- photography courses

- wedding photographer

- retouche service

- all of them and then some?

Anway, I am confident you need to work with, as suggest, negative keywords, and with different kind of match types.

If you offer photography courses, I´d suggest you add multiword keywords using modified broad match (at least). For example: +courses +photography and/or "photo courses" and/or +wedding +photographer

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

After reading your comments, one quick tip i want to give you is that check how transparent and well written are your ad texts. What message your ads texts are giving to users, Are they clearly describe what your services are and what your are offering to them. A well written ad text help you to aviod all those clicks which are irrelevant (If people think what you are offering are not of their interest, they will not click on your ads).

I don't think photography or photographer keywords can make big differnece, you can use both of these keywords. I'll suggest you to check the Search terms reports of your keywords and use the Negative Keywords in phrase and exact match. For example, you can use Free photography tips, photography articles, photography software etc. as negative keywords in phrase and exact match. Negative keywords prevent to show your ads for those keywords which you think are not useful for you.

Hope this will help,

Dinesh
My Blog
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

To be able to give a good answer to your question I´d like to what kind of business you wanna promote. Is it:

- photography courses

- wedding photographer

- retouche service

- all of them and then some?

Anway, I am confident you need to work with, as suggest, negative keywords, and with different kind of match types.

If you offer photography courses, I´d suggest you add multiword keywords using modified broad match (at least). For example: +courses +photography and/or "photo courses" and/or +wedding +photographer

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well I was trying to avoid this being specifically about my business and all the other keywords I could use, rather about photography in general and how other photographers approach 'photography' as a keyword, but for the record I'm a commercial photographer.

Answers to my 'question' would be people saying whether or not they use it as a keyword and how they're finding that as it strikes me as something of a debating point and I think all photographers using adwords could benefit from hearing about other approaches.

I'm currently using photography as a keyword, but leaning towards removing it, though not going all out and making it a negative keyword...not yet anyway.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Rather than removing this keyword, You need to work more in the Ads text. You can use some words in your ads like

Hire
Price
estimate
Cost

These words may give clear idea to the user that this ads is not just for a photograph, but about photography services.

Hope it will help.. Smiley Happy

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Are you not using conversion tracking?
If you were, it´d be easy(ier) to determine whether you should use that keyword or not and, in case you would, what bid you shoud use for it. (if you know how much you earn, it´s not so hard to know what to pay for it)

Goals and other metrics in Google Analytics could also be useful in this respect

'Photography' or 'Photographer'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Photographer