4.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Phone calls from weird numbers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm running an extremely tight campaign with "only show ads for people in my targeted area" selected in campaign settings. This is for a big lawyer in San Francisco, $40 CPC etc. So far we've gotten 5 phone calls and each of the area codes don't really make sense - they are from Texas, Washington, etc. When I call the #s they seem to not reach a person or the number says disconnected. Thoughts on how to avoid this?

Re: Phone calls from weird numbers

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
add exclusions for area's to exclude in your targeting

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi David M

Are these leads generated from AdWords or Organic searches?
You may want to start adding all these irrelevant locations to your AdWords negative targeting list.
Check your Dimensions tab and select "User Location" from the View menu. This will give you more ideas about which locations to block.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That means the ad is showing outside the area you chose. A lot of people do not take the time to read your question, or simply can not read. I understand when you say "tight", that you mean tight. Remember the IPV4 protocol is NOT accurate in regards to GEO exclusion. It is a pretty toy to play with though and it does bring comfort to those who play with it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi all,

Example from another campaign: this morning I checked out dimensions and it looks like we're getting clicks from the areas in Los Angeles that we want, see screenshot here: http://i.gyazo.com/0d08aa10b245e202aa290789301d67fe.png

That being said, there are really only 2 area codes we should be getting calls from, 310 and 818, and I'm seeing about 70% of all our calls so far coming from other area codes. I know that some people don't change their #s when they move to LA, but when I call a few of them I get "line is disconnected" or a spam message.

1) Would adding in exclusions still help? Currently we have just a 20 mi radius around our location with the option "target only users physically in my targeted location"

2) Is it possible I'm getting fraudulent clicks / calls?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi David

In a situation like this, I would advise contacting your Google Account Manager and askign them to check.

There is a post that touches on this elsewhere in the community.
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/AdWords-Targeting-Receiving-Click...

I think the element that applied to you in this situation is most likely;
"2. IP Address Does Not Match User's Location

Google identifies a user's Internet Protocol (IP) address, which is assigned by a user's Internet Service Provider (ISP), to help determine the user's location. Then, we'll show ads targeted to that user's location.

Sometimes, however, the user's IP address is mapped outside his or her actual location. For example, if you have a campaign that targets REGION #1, a user could be located in REGION #2 while his/her IP address is housed on a server located in REGION #1. Therefore, your ads would appear to that user, even though the user is physically located outside of your targeted region."

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That is not even close to correct information. IPV4 protocol is not accurate. Also mapping by area code requires them having that information before vectoring the visit, which they do not.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
What do you recommend basses on my latest response?