AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Performance question: Sudden drop in metrics from the Display Network. Can you help?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there everyone,

I have a query regarding one of the campaigns I am running. There has been a significant drop in performance from week 34 to week 35 on my Display networks.

Clicks: 1,610 vs 1,755

Impressions: 874,237 vs 1,011,646

Conv: 8 vs 24

No changes have been made on the campaigns or ad groupd during this time. One large drop difference seems to be coming from my remarketing campaign.

Clicks: 69 vs 102

Impressions: 30,359 vs 52,477

Should I look into the campaign or wait another week to see if it was only a dip in performance? The campaign has been holding steady previously.

Thanks for the input.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Performance question

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello charl,

If I would have been in your case, I would first look at the placements where my impression share dropped. Of course I would also look at the placements where I was getting good number of conversions and they dropped quite significantly (24 Vs 8).

There could be many reasons behind it, few of them includes:

Increase in the advertiser competition on domains where conversion dropped.

Drop in the position due to which impression were lost on important domains.

As you said about your remarketing campaign, you could look at the domains you were re-targeting and see if your ad position dropped due to increase in the competition. In that case, you might consider increasing the bid so as to sustain the competition.

Based on the data you get, you might have to further optimize your campaign. For more details, you could review this article too.

Just few of my thoughts!

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi Charl,

Pankaj has some brilliant thoughts there, especially the Impression Share report. This is crucial to see what proportion of impressions you are showing for. This will also give you a hint on where to optimise (either in terms of budget or in terms of ad rank). 

Also, as you mentioned remarketing I would check your remarketing list to see if you have a healthy number of users. As cookies can expire, your list might have recently become smaller than you initially thought. 

Hope this helps!

A. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Charl,

Just one point to add here, sort of an addition to Alys' point.  Depending on when you started your remarketing lists, you may be coming up on a point where the cookie expiration is taking hold and many users are being dropped from the lists.  Also, depending on the remarketing strategy you're employing, you could be facing a situation where you are adding less users to these lists and therefore, seeing less activity. 

Just a thought!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 5
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi charl,

Were you able to look into the reports that some of our Top Contributors mentioned here? Also, Alys, pointed out the remarketing lists. Did you have a look in your account?

Do you need more help? This Community likes performance questions,so bring them on.

Thanks,
Zee
G+