AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Paying max CPC at position 1 on a branded kw

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I've recently been looking at some SQR's in my account, and saw that CPC's were very high for specific searches related to my branded keywords. Quality scores for these keywords are all 10/10, and my ads are showing up in the top spot with no competitors, so I'm confused as to why I'm paying my max CPC. Additionally, similar queries for the same keywords cost less. My keywords are BMM. 

Any help or advice is appreciated -- thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Grant E
July 2016

Re: Paying max CPC at position 1 on a branded kw

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Minimum bids can vary if you have other keywords alongside your brand. I presume if you went for, say:

+divorce +lawyer +yourbrand

It would have a high minimum

bid. My educated guess is that the minimums represent what Google feels advertisers will be willing to pay. And no matter how clever an automated system is, it won't always get things exactly right.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi, are you 100% sure that there are no competitors on your target keywords? Please double check it using auction insight report (please make sure that you have picked data for at least last 7 days):
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2579754?hl=en
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Alexey,

No competitors listed in the auction insights report. The keywords that I have are branded terms with BMM, and the queries with the high CPC's include a few extra words before or after my branded term.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
If you are talking about your company brand name, then there my only be one ad per page. If the No. 2 position is actually the top of the second page, then you either bid for the first page/No.1 position, or you don't show an ad on the first page.

If you know what the top volume and return generating underlying exact match search terms are, then how do those terms perform as exact match KW's vs. the broad(er) match of those terms?
Tom

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
How did you determine the max cpc bid you are using? If it was Google's minimum to show on the first page, then it makes sense.

Keep in mind that Google has minimum bids. If your brand has generic keywords in it, or is a known brand in an industry with high CPCs, then your minimum bid might be high.

You could have a QS of 50/10 and Google will still get their minimum from you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I understand that Google has minimum bids, but there have been similar brand-related queries that have cost me much less than the ones I'm referring to. Could certain queries cost me more depending on the other words used with my brand in the query? For example:
- contact + brand
- brand + coupons
- thai food + brand
Could those vary in CPC because of the words attached to my brand? My brand name is specific enough to not warrant a high minimum CPC. Same thing goes with the industry -- CPC's aren't very high.

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner
Yes. Check your search terms report.
Tom

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Grant E
July 2016

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Minimum bids can vary if you have other keywords alongside your brand. I presume if you went for, say:

+divorce +lawyer +yourbrand

It would have a high minimum

bid. My educated guess is that the minimums represent what Google feels advertisers will be willing to pay. And no matter how clever an automated system is, it won't always get things exactly right.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This clears things up -- thanks for the help!