6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Paying google lots of money for no conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey, I manufacture and sell yeast for brewing beer to homebrewers and breweries. I am paying too much for adwords and not getting sales. Other than turning this off again, any suggestions on how to get roi. $700+ - no sales.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Paying google lots of money for no conversions

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

That's a fairly open-ended question and one that no one is going to be able to answer without more details about precisely what you've been doing.  Woman Wink

What keywords you're using, what match types, what audiences your ads are being served to--these things are all important. Aside from those--and any information you feel like sharing will help us help you--I often tell my clients that AdWords drives traffic--it's their website that mostly drives sales.

Are you avoiding broad match?  Making sure to mine your search terms to weed out unwanted searches with negative keywords? Experimenting with new ad messaging to figure out what your potential customers react best to? Trying different strategies with different audiences to try and reach a larger variety of potential buyers? Was your website professionally designed and are you sure that the end-user experience is as frictionless as possible?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Just to be clear - You have sold product during this time, but there are no reported adwords conversions?

What kind of conversions? AdWords conversion code conversions, analytics goals, ecommerce, etc. How do you track and report a sale?

Tom

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I would suggest hiring a professional. There could be tons of things potentially wrong.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning, 128.  

While there can be many benefits from professional management, it's not desirable, possible, or necessary for all advertisers.

I know you're new to the forum and probably don't understand how it all works yet. This is a place where both agencies and individual advertisers can come to get help managing their AdWords accounts. Our "mission" is to help folks understand AdWords and make the best of their advertising, getting the best return on their advertising dollars. We discuss new features, reports, how to organize accounts, and a range of other topics designed to help AdWords advertisers succeed with the program.

Simply telling someone to hire a professional isn't real helpful. Woman Happy

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Definitely read you loud and clear Theresa. Thanks.

I wasn't trying to be smart or anything. Based on the limited info he gave, and the large amount he spent, I genuinely think that to be the best route! I agree the mission should be to help them get the most of their advertising.

This would be more helpful: can you link us to the website or landing page jamesoside?

Sorry Smiley Happy

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi James,

just to add to the suggestions above, are you getting sales and orders from the website apart from Google Adwords? This would be a good indicator to gauge whether the website content or design could be the issue here.

You can use Google Analytics (with E-Commerce tracking enabled) to check this. You should also be able to get this information from your inventory management tool to an extent.

Assuming that Adwords is the only source wherein you're not getting any sales, then you need to do a top down analysis of your account. Take every individual campaign and check if all Adwords best practices in terms of the way campaigns need to be setup have been followed. You should then check if you're ads are showing up for the right queries with the search term reports and also check for which placement sites you're ad is showing on if you're running on the Display Network.

If you have Google Anaytics, you can check if your Adwords account contains the themes of keywords that tend to bring you the maximum traffic and orders from Google organic search. This is usually a good indicator to know whether you're campaigns contain all the right themes or not.

It might sound like a lot, but it would take you a day to do this and by the end of it, you will definitely know where the misses are and then you can work on implmenting changes and testing a new way forward.

As Theresa said, it might not be essential for you to go to an agency for this, however if you feel that you are not able to give this as much time as it might need, it may be a good move for you to give it a try.

Hope this helps, please feel free to write back with any further queries.

Regards,

Nikhil