AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Paused 'main' domain affecting 'sub-domain' performance ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My Franchisee has paused all of their campaigns against their 'main domain' ( www.xxx.com/landing_page)

Is this likely to be a contributory factor towards falling performance on my sub domain campaigns

( www.xxx.com/myfranchise/landing_page), which were previously thriving but now have fallen to almost no clicks ?

( there are other reasons for falling performance, relating to their recent complete redesign of the website without consulting me, and I am changing all my landing pages to match the redesign now, but wanted to ensure the pausing doesn't affect me before I make the changes )

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author sw17
September 2015

Re: Paused 'main' domain affecting 'sub-domain' performance ?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
If you pause one campaign for top level domain, it will not affect other campaigns you are running for internal pages.

See, the traffic will be purely depend on landing pages you are using in your adgroup and campaigns.

Hope it will help

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
When you will create ads, you will have two field for URL;
1) Display URL where you can insert URL that you want to display on your ad. Google will only display 35 characters of your inserted URL and for mobile ads, it will display 20 character.

2) Final URL
This is the URL of landing page where you want to land users after they click on on your advertisement.

I recommend reading this guide: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704392?hl=en

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I am not clear with your case and its connection with adwords as i feel it is related to user experience and referral traffic from your main domain to your franchise pages.

I can not give exact answer without reviewing the traffic log but what i suspect is; the main franchise who was promoting their website through adwords and may targeting customer who are your franchise target audience too. Now as they have paused the campaign, you might be getting no clicks!

Kindly check the landing pages and study funnel visualization, it will help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks.
I've updated all my landing pages already, but the big question, is whether pausing campaigns on a top level domain, will affect different campaigns on sub-domains.

I accept there may be some indirect raffic generated for subdomains by ads on the top level ( users are driven to .com domain and when they call by phone, are redirected to the subdomain phone number), but are sub domains 100% independent of their top level domain as far as AdWords are concerned.
Thanks
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
If you pause one campaign for top level domain, it will not affect other campaigns you are running for internal pages.

See, the traffic will be purely depend on landing pages you are using in your adgroup and campaigns.

Hope it will help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, that's helpful.
Can I also ask if the URL given within the text of the add ( there are a very limited number of characters available, so sub domains can't be used ) is completely ignored when someone clicks your ad ?
Are 100% definitely directed to your "Final URL " ?
Thanks
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
When you will create ads, you will have two field for URL;
1) Display URL where you can insert URL that you want to display on your ad. Google will only display 35 characters of your inserted URL and for mobile ads, it will display 20 character.

2) Final URL
This is the URL of landing page where you want to land users after they click on on your advertisement.

I recommend reading this guide: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704392?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Very clear thanks

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Happy to help you Smiley Happy