AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Pause or lower budget

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, from time to time i need to stop my campaign due to busy schedule.

and i don't want to drive more traffic and pay for clicks i am not able to cover.

I want to know if it make sense to pause my campaign or just lower the budget so i can keep getting the data?

any insight on what is the best option ?

Thanks,

Tal

1 Expert replyverified_user

Pause or lower budget

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tal,

You never want to pause unless you're pausing the campaign indefinitely.  The best practice is to lower the budget very low (e.g. $1 a day).  

Adwords is not a faucet, you can't turn it on and off and expect to see the same volume of traffic you had previously.  Its based on a bid auction which makes it competitive and dynamic with constant changes.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

-Orlando

Pause or lower budget

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I agree with Orlando. AdWords is a system which behaves as a steady state. "Step changes"  could cause the campaign to diverge.  Bringing it back to a new  steady state will take some time, and   will result  in a  higher CPC.

So reduce budget to about 20 % (gradually - not at once) or set  an end date in advance (e.g. Let the system "know" in advance  that you plan to pause).

See also this discussion:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Keywords-added-after-few-days-d...

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/Adwords-Account-Campaign-quot-Pau...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Pause or lower budget

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks you! I pause my campeigns during the holiday season for 2-3 weeks, i am sure it effected my account now i am ready to put it back but will do it slowly and steady. from now on i will never pause it but rather lower the budget or change the schedule. 

Thanks again.