Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Pause or lower budget

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, from time to time i need to stop my campaign due to busy schedule.

and i don't want to drive more traffic and pay for clicks i am not able to cover.

I want to know if it make sense to pause my campaign or just lower the budget so i can keep getting the data?

any insight on what is the best option ?

Thanks,

Tal

1 Expert replyverified_user

Pause or lower budget

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tal,

You never want to pause unless you're pausing the campaign indefinitely.  The best practice is to lower the budget very low (e.g. $1 a day).  

Adwords is not a faucet, you can't turn it on and off and expect to see the same volume of traffic you had previously.  Its based on a bid auction which makes it competitive and dynamic with constant changes.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

-Orlando

Pause or lower budget

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I agree with Orlando. AdWords is a system which behaves as a steady state. "Step changes"  could cause the campaign to diverge.  Bringing it back to a new  steady state will take some time, and   will result  in a  higher CPC.

So reduce budget to about 20 % (gradually - not at once) or set  an end date in advance (e.g. Let the system "know" in advance  that you plan to pause).

See also this discussion:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Keywords-added-after-few-days-d...

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/Adwords-Account-Campaign-quot-Pau...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Pause or lower budget

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks you! I pause my campeigns during the holiday season for 2-3 weeks, i am sure it effected my account now i am ready to put it back but will do it slowly and steady. from now on i will never pause it but rather lower the budget or change the schedule. 

Thanks again.