Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Pause or Delete Keywords when moving them to new Ad Groups

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good day,

I have created some Campaigns and 1 to 2 Ad Groups whithin these campaigns. I did a keyword research with the Keyword Planner Tool beforehand and split them in the 2 campaings.

A few weeks later, Adwords was notifying me that most keywords were below average for Ad Relevance, so I started investigating in the help center and we found out that another reason (other than the obvious one) is that I might have too many keywords for the same group and it makes it quite general. I decided to re-organize the Keywords by creating new Ad Groups within the same campaign and I copy-pasted the Keywords from the former Ad Group to the new one, then paused the "original" Keyword in order to keep the statistics and be able to compare them later with the ones from the new Ad Group.

My questions are... is this a correct way to do it? or will the paused Keywords still "interfere" with the Ad Relevance? should I delete the Keywords instead of pausing them?

Thank you very much.

Nelson O. Aponte

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nelson A
September 2015

Re: Pause or Delete Keywords when moving them to new Ad Groups

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Nelson,

You need not delete the Keywords, pausing them will solve your purpose. Paused keywords do not interfere in the campaigns performance.

Cheers!
SaiChand T
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi Nelson,

Good day to you too! Smiley Happy 

The answer to your question is yes, this is the correct way to go about it. The paused keywords will not interfere with your Ad Group's theme or relevance and as you correctly stated, the statistics will indeed remain intact. Deleting the keywords, on the other hand, will cause the historical performance to disappear as well. If the generic keywords that you have paused have had no clicks or impressions at all, there is no harm in deleting them. 

Good job in working to make your Ad Groups themed. This excercise will help your keywords get better quality score which is beneficial for you in terms of reducing your CPC's and improving your Ad's average position on the search results page. 

Do read more about keyword statuses in this article from our Help Center. Since you are working so hard on including relevant keywords, I would also suggest that you consider adding keywords with different match types, if you haven't already. Smiley Happy 

Happy Advertising!

Cheers,

Karishma

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Nelson,

As per my understanding, I think you are doing it in a right way. If you have too much keywords in a single ad group and you want to split them. You should pause the older ones and introduce the new ones in new ad group like the way you mentioned. Tightly theme based ad groups with keywords will ensure that proper flow of traffic and it would be more comfortable to manage the account rather than stuffing one group with whole bunch of keywords.

This would help you to compare the old details and the details which will be accumulated in your new ad groups for the same keywords. Just make sure that you are not running duplicate keywords across your account.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Nelson,

I will give you a different point of view. Stats from deleted keywords do not disappear. The remain associated with the keyword forever. Nothing is actually ever deleted.

In order to see the stats for the moved keywords, your date range will need to include the time when they were active. It doesn't really matter in terms of performance whether you pause or delete the keywords. So it's really a matter of personal taste.

The difference will be in which keywords you show along with the date range selected. Under the keywords tab, there are 3 selections for which keywords to show: "All", "All enabled", "All but deleted". Normally I look at all enabled, so I don't need to sift through paused or deleted keywords. If you pause the keywords, you can select "All but deleted", to show the deleted keywords select "All".

When I make the decision as to whether to delete or pause, generally, if I think I might reactivate the keyword at a later date, I pause it. If I will never use that keyword again in this ad group, I delete it.

The one difference is that paused keywords could be reviewed, particularly if the have a keyword level destination. If that destination URL is no longer available, the keyword could become disapproved. IF you get a lot of disapproved keywords or ads, that could negatively affect your account quality score which could, in turn, affect your keyword quality scores.

The rest of what you are doing is on track. One other thing, ad relevance can be different for each keyword in your ad group. Moving certain keywords to a separate group will not really affect the ad relevance of the keywords left in the original group, but it could improve that metric in the new group.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks to everyone for taking time to answer my questions and for your great comments, specially Pete, your additional comments were very helpful.

Now that you tell me that keywords are not actually deleted (as technically expected), I agree with you when you say it's a matter of taste. I personally prefer to leave them there in paused status as I might forget in the future when did I "delete" them (In case I do).

Regarding your last comment, the whole idea of the re-grouping was to improve the metric of the keywords in their new groups.

However, after a few days, the quality scores settled on average 1 point above the values they had when they were in their former ad groups. Now I'll try to wait for another week to have a more representative sample and then improve the ads text and see how that works.

Thanks Karishma for the links and your suggestions.

Best Regards,

Nelson