Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Partial Matching Negative Keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Quick question:

If there are a bunch of part numbers I want to negative match, can I capture all of them with the first two or three letters before each number?

Example:

btx4421

btx9102

btx8822

etc.

Would btx on its own negative match all variants?

I know that if they were two words, it would; however, since each of these are a single word, I'm not sure.

Thank you for your help.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Partial Matching Negative Keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Bobby,

I would suggest that you add btx with all variants and closely watch your search terms report to make sure that any other search terms that you don't want to show up for can be added to your negatives. It is one of the best ways to build your negative keyword list.

Hope This Helps!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bobby S
September 2015

Re: Partial Matching Negative Keywords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
HI Bobby S,

Great question, and I'm not sure how to answer. Techincally, a query for "btx 4421" is the same as "btx4421", but it's not likely "btx4421" would be considered a close variation of "btx".

I am wondering how many of your search queries include the part numbers in question.

If you want to exclude all queries the include a part number that starts with 'btx', I'd probably try a phrase match for "btx", the watch the search terms reports for queries that include part numbers that begin with btx.

I did a couple searches. "btx9102" turns up different articles than "btx 9102". Unless a Google engineer can help with this question, a small, controlled experiment as described in the previous paragraph may be the only way to answer the question.

Please let us know what you find out!

Best of Luck,

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords