Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Page with organic results only, not a single ad displayed

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

Sometimes we run into the situation, when we have campaign targeting specific area, excellent QS, proper settings all verified but Google doesn't show ads when particular keywords are used. And When I say ads are not there I mean no ads at all. Just organic results. Is it that Google doesn't show ads if there is no competition for the keyword/bid/location? 

Thank you!

D

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Page with organic results only, not a single ad displayed

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Dmitry,

Unfortunately, that does happen. Typically, it's a keyword that is very specific, about a specific niche, or possibly a brand name that doesn't have a lot of awareness, yet.

Keywords with low search volume are not entered into auctions until search volume increases. You can find more details about that, here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2616014?hl=en

It might help to loosen up match types or try keywords that are a little bit less specific.

I hope this helps!

**Also, I'm so sorry - I just realized I have been spelling your name wrong.  I sincerely apologize!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I see. Kinda bad Smiley Happy Like the only Auto Repair shop in 20mi radius can't even advertise it's transmission repair service, haha Smiley Happy

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
ah, that's a bummer! Maybe try +transmission +repair. I know that's not as good as being able to use "transmission repair service" in exact, phrase, and modified broad but it's a start!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

If QS is good, and the KW has a search volume,  this usually means that you bid too  low, below the threshold Google as set as a minimum bid.

(And no,  The minimum is  not 1 cent... It far exceeds 1c.  I doubt if you could find a  KW that did not take part in an auction. I assume that all KWs  which you could imagine have a bidding history, hence the minimum bid is above the theoretical  1 cent)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dmitry,

Google will show ad for no competition, but as Amy stated will not for low search volume status keywords.

Regarding Organic vs Paid: Have you filtered out organic traffic from other locations? Maybe you are getting organic traffic from who you are not interested, like far locations.

Regarding paid, its important to diagnose why you are getting no traffic here to address correctly the problem, the problem may refer to:

• People are searching for your keywords, but your ad is not showing due to low quality  - or
  • Almost no one is searching for your keywords in desired area.

...or both!

I Suggest you that you to add the impression share column, to check the percentage of your public you are showing ads if you have a low percentage in Impression share for last days or your average ad position is a high value your problem is that your ads have a low quality and you need to improve the quality or bid as MosheTLV stated.

If you have a high impression share like 60, 70, 80%... this suggests that your ad have a good quality/cpc bid but there are not so many people around there searching for the keyword (this may be a real problem in some cases).

How to solve the issue? 

If you have a low impression share and no traffic, focus on:

•  try to raise the bid
  • improve your ads (use keyword on headline and a good promotion on Description 2)
  • add keywords variations close related with the original (combination of keyword + cityname may help like "transmission repair Miami")

If you have high impression share and no traffic for a local:

• Consider using broad match keywords
  • Go Long Tail: Add more keywords, not directly similar (in different ad groups and lower bids!) like "transmission not working", transmission clunking, transmission cost, car repair.
  • Try display network too (begin with a small budget)
  • Consider increasing location radius
  • if AdWords do not work for this one, consider trying another alternatives like SEO, Facebook page + Facebook Ads, etc.. 

In both cases, add the more ad extensions you can to improve ad quality.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Dmitry,

Another thing to consider is your budget.  Gravity touched upon this issue by mentioning that you should examine your Impression Share data and I'd thoroughly recommend this.  

AdWords has to aim for your daily budget each day and this spend is, of course, comprised of the clicks you receive.  To receive clicks you must have impressions - showings of your Ad - but if your budget is low AdWords cannot show your Ad for every possible matching search term; if they did your spend would likely exceed your budget.

For example, let's say there are 500 searches that would match your Keyword each day and your typical CPC is $1, with a typical CTR of 5%.  In this situation you could receive 25 clicks a day at a cost of $25, but if your budget is only $10 a day, AdWords cannot afford to show your Ad for each search made - it'll show it for less than half the eligible searches.  The actual algorithm that decides when to show the Ad or not is complex, but this is the basic idea.

Another thing to consider is whether what you're seeing is specific to you.  Search results are tailored for the individual when logged in or identifiable in some other way, so if you frequently search for your own Keywords Google could be considering that you're not interested in your Ads (because you don't click them) and will simply stop showing them to you not necessarily everyone.

One final thing to think about is whether Google actually believes you're inside your targeted area.  20 miles is actually a fairly small radius for IP targeting (AdWords uses several different methods for determining location but IP targeting is the most likely for small areas) and it's possible you don't actually seem to be within the area.  For example, here in the UK my IP address frequently returns a location in Leeds or Newcastle, over 40 miles from my actual location.

The solution to both the above is to use the Ad Preview tool rather than perform your own searches.  This tool will allow you to "search" as many times without affecting your own performance figures and will allow you to specify a location within your target.

If location targeting is the issue, you may want to consider using location based Keywords rather than relying upon radius targeting.  I'd recommend still using a location target (to avoid matches against towns/cities with the same name elsewhere) and ideally you should do this in a separate Campaign so you still have the chance of picking up the original clicks.

Are you seeing any clicks/impressions within AdWords itself?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Have you used the ad preview tool or are you just searching Google? I also agree that broad match will give you a better chance. I have had this problem before. Google seems to not like exact bids any more except for higher volume and higher CTR keywords.

Keep a close eye on your detailed keyword report to find negatives to add. Also another fix would be to switch to opt out geotargeting. Add the state as well then exclude out the areas your not interested in. You can also just set the state to -90% bid. This should fix your problem. There seems to be a bug or feature in Adwords where they won't show everybody in your selected area unless you use opt out targeting.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Do you mean if I want only 15mi radius around the business location then instead of setting 15mi radius target I should rather exclude ALL the areas except this 15 mi? Seems kinda cumbersome , no? Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
You need to also include your 15 mile area.

It sucks but that is the only way to really get the people in that area. You can try the -90% on the state that is much easier. Either way your going to get some traffic outside your area but the bid will be so low you won't pay much for it.

I have never done it at that granular of an area. I do it at the Metro level and it really works. I don't think Google really knows where you are at such a specific location. They might know where a few people are but most people they can't pinpoint that specifically. I would increase to more than 15 mi. Maybe 30.