AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

PPC landing page question

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I am trying to create some new landing pages and I have a few questions.

1. What is the best width. I know in the past yall have said 100% but if you do that your page will look odd on giant screens. Can you design a page that looks good on all screen sizes when set to 100%? Especially cross browser.

2. If you have a local number is it better to have it be all numbers or 111-111-mykw. If you do the kw thing do you also put the actual numbers out to the side or just repeat with actual numbers like 111-111-1111

3. If during the day your main goal is to get somebody to call a number do you also include a form and if so do you put it below the fold or diminish it in someway like put on the left side since the right side is where the eye goes to.

4. What is the best color for a phone number?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: PPC landing page question

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi & welcome TX-ppcguy,

I'll give you my opinions on these and I'm sure you'll get a few more responses.

1 - I'd look into responsive design so your page width suits the browser thats viewing it. This is a really good post on the webmaster central blog about responsive deisgn.

2 - Personally I have found the all number approach has been better for my clients. I think that if you give them the letters, it makes it harder for thejm to pick up the phone and call you. They might be better for radio and TV when you have an extremely short period of time for someone to remember it but I feel the numbers are better on the web.

3 - I try and put a form on every page that it can be on. Even if the aim is to get a phone call, what happens late at night when your phones aren't being answered, maybe a user is at work (not doing work) and on your site, they can't pick up the phone to call you but they can submit a form enquiry. I find some people are just lazy and its easier for you to call them as well so they'll happily fill in a form that has a "request a call back" type feature.

4 - RED.... only joking. It would depend on the site and the contrast you are trying to get. Like anything online, you need to test and measure. The small things make big differences. eg. If you do have a form on each page, what is your header for the form? Enquire now, Ask a question, contact us, need to know more?, want to chat?, etc. These are all things that can change your enquiry for conversion rates. Test, Test, Test...

I hope this helps you a bit, but let me know if you have any other queries.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you very much.  What I was thinking about was running two campaigns.  One during company hours when there are people whose job it is to answer the phone.  Phones are to be answered during business hours.  Leads are top priority over anything else.  Somebody will talk to them quickly during the day.  At night nobody will answer the phone.  I was even thinking about not putting a phone number up at night or putting it below the fold.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi TC-ppcguy, personally I'd never do anything to deliberately stop someone contacting me by their preferred method.  In my opinion it's better to put a solution in place to handle that preferred method than to actively try and prevent it.  Let's face it, you're spending money on Adwords to get people to buy into your company right?  Now you're saying you're going to deliberately make it hard for them to contact you?

There's no reason why you can't be a little creative with the phone number issue without hiding it altogether.  Make it clear that the phones are only manned 9-5 but that you'll happily take a message and call back in the morning.  Make it clear that they can use the form provided but still keep the number there.  Don't forget also that just because someone sees your Ad or website at 8pm when you're not there, that doesn't necessarily mean they're going to call then.  I often browse the web at night making notes to call/visit people the next day.  Neither should you overlook the frustration factor.  If I go to a website and find there's no phone number, I'm likely to be annoyed at the incompetence of the designer and go elsewhere.  If I go to a site and see a note under the number saying "We're available 9-5", I'll probably just make a note to call you in the morning.

As far as the Ads themselves go, yes, I'd consider taking the phone number out after hours but I'd want to measure the impact of this.  Phone numbers in Ads may have an effect outside of getting people to call so you'll want to make sure you're not adversely affecting your performance.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits