Guide Me
star_border

PPC campaign by using different match types of the same keywords

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello everyone,

I want to set up a new PPC campaign by using exact, Phrase and broad match modifier of the same keywords. Please suggest me how can structure them into different ad Groups, so they don’t conflict with each other.

Please, also suggest me bidding strategies for these types of keywords and ad group.

Regards,

Daisy Miller

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: PPC campaign by using different match types of the same keywords

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hello Daisy,

You can use such structure -1 keyword for 1 ad.group. You can build 2 types of campaigns - in exact and in broad match. You can use broad campaigs in order to get new keyword ideas and exact match campaigns to get conversions. Also it's important to limit budget on broad campaigns and increase it for exact.

Also there is no sense to use frase match because all search queries which you will get from it you will get from broad match modifier. Fhrase match became useless when broad match modifier was introduced.

Cheers,
Alexey
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
One more point to add - in order to avoid competition between your own keywords you can put exact match keywords from exact campaigns as negatives to broad. This structure is working really great, so enjoy results Smiley Happy
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
In reality there should be no competition between your keywords - Google should choose the keyword which has the tightest match... so if you you have three keywords:

+blue +widget
"blue widget"
[blue widget]

and the user searches for - blue widget - google should choose the exact match keyword as the candidate for the auction as, since they are all in the same ad group they should have the same factors (ad copy, landing page) working in the same way and, as a result, the exact match keyword should have a better ad rank...

The issue arises when you split these keywords into their own ad groups - because then there are other factors - such as CTR which become more significant. This is when using negatives to "force the choice" as @Alexy C suggest becomes important.

Of course, the ROI on an exact match keyword may well be much better than the phrase and BMM equivalents and this would be another reason to split it off - again, in this situation you want to do everything you can to force the selection - even if - for whatever strange reason - the cost per click may be lower on the other match type versions. You may also go as far as to move the exact match into its own campaign so as to give it as much budget as it can eat...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Daisy,

There are 2 options to go for:-

1. Add different match type keywords within a single ad group and then keep the ones which are performing better and pause the rest. Then optimize the account in that direction to achieve better ROI.

2. Add different match type keywords in different ad groups and use embedded negative keyword match types so that the traffic streamlines upto certain level based on the user search queries.

I would also suggest you to read this help center important reference which explains how similar keywords are matched to search terms:-  https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

My 2 cents!

Pankaj