4.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Overlapping Targeted Locations within a single Campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Say I have a campaign set to target users within an entire state (USA) as well as within a radius around a specific city within that state, how can I expect this to affect my campaign's performance?  Will the people within the radius around the city see the ad at higher concentrations that the people within the state but outside of the radius?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mi k
December 2016

Overlapping Targeted Locations within a single Campaign

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey,

Your hypothesis of:

"the people within the radius around the city see the ad at higher concentrations that the people within the state but outside of the radius"

will only hold true if you have setup a location bid adjustment for the radius around the specific city (and you don't already have 100% impression share).

For example, say you are targeting California with no bid adjustment but have a 50% bid adjustment for a 10-mile radius around Los Angeles. Assuming that you don't have 100% impressions share, it's possible that you will show ads more frequently in Los Angeles compared to the rest of California. What's more likely is that you will drive more clicks given your higher ad rank from increased bids. However, if you have a 100% bid adjustment setup in California then you would show ads less frequently in Los Angeles as AdWords will use the bid adjustment for the most exact location when possible (50% < 100%).

Here's an article on bid adjustments from AdWords: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2732132?hl=en

Hope this helps,

Jim

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.