2.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Our recent experience with Google Adwords:

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

On 09/18/2013 we had several ads disapproved because of Superlatives. Mainly the ads in question had the work “Best” in them.  We were able to catch this fairly quickly, and modified the ads to remove the superlative word. There were approximately 37 ads this affected.

Since the changes made on this date, our orders dropped about 15%, impressions about 50%, and about a 5% increase in our Avg. CPC.  Note, there was only 1 word modified in these ads.

I must mention, that there are several competitors still using the exact Superlative’s in their ads that ours were disabled due to.

After contacting Google on several occasions, their best advice was to increase our Max CPC. Now on paper, obviously spending more money to increase sales does make plenty of sense, however, how is it that our performance dropped that dramatically after these ads were disapproved for the short amount of time?

Does anyone else have any logical reasoning behind this, or have a similar situation they would like to share? Any comments or feedback would be greatly welcomed.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Our recent experience with Google Adwords:

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Doug H,

That kinda sucks, doesn't it.

Changing a single word in an ad can make a big difference in the response. In order to use a superlative like 'best', it has to be confirmed by a third party. Now, I confess, I have no idea what that really means.

Here's the policy page, the superlative section is a little beyond half the page down.

You could try to verify your claim for "best" with a third party, or you could try other "value propositions" in your ad copy.

I'm just curious now, what kind of "best" did you have in the ad? Best prices, best service, best products?

"Best" of luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Dough,

Make sure you don't have spammers showing up on your ads... it is against regulations and it will increase the cost on your campaign.

Check out
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/190442?hl=en&ref_topic=1310864

Get your feedback here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/contact/feedback

If you see websites such as:

ask.com
pronto.com
about.com

They are most likely spammers and you can report them...

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Doug,

Recently Google announced a change in our Ad Rank system [see the Adwords Blog article

Improving Ad Rank to show more relevant ad extensions and formats] that could explain the increase in your CPC. As the Google rep you contacted suggested, you can increase your Max CPC to increase your sales/ROI. You also have the option to add  ad extensions and formats to increase your Ad Rank which can lower your Max CPC (and improve your ad positon). You can learn more about ad extensions at this link. I hope this information helps. Smiley Happy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Doug, there are way better words you can use than "best". Plus they aren't going to raise flags with Google.

The issue is to get your ads to stand out. Most ads run to the format of

"Umm, er we've got a keyword like wot you're interested in
and you'd want to buy it, right?
So come on and buy it coz like we've got the lowest price.
http://thelowestpriceontheplanet.com/lowestpricekeywords.

What if you focused on the people who're searching? What are their likes and dislikes when it comes to (say) cheese? A superlative will make it stand out, but better still you engage with them.

Best cheddar cheeses buy them now at $5/lb
Lovely cheddar cheese comes in 1lb packs, shrinkwrapped.
Hot melted cheddar wafting towards you from the oven

Which grabs your attention? There are no superlatives, but the effect is direct and immediate. It'll get your CTRs well up too - and your bid price down. If it's not flavour they're after, what is it? I don't know your keywords, and I'll leave it to your imagination to work this out. Do try several approaches, as one will meet with your searchers' eyes.

This way Google won't be penalizing you for superlatives any more.